• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

john

Hi all I discovered this site yesterday and have just this minute joined. I don't read as much as I used to but it is still the last thing I do before going to sleep (sad eh).
Anyway I am trying to find out about a book I own by DBC Pierre called Vernon God Little I know it has just won the booker prize and I also know that some first editions are going for as much as £160 at some auction houses. I have a signed copy of a first edition but the page numbers 248-250 inclusive are missing, the pages are there it's just the page numbers that are missing. Do'es this make it more or less valuable?

Hi John, welcome to the forum. No, it's not sad that you read before sleep - I do that all the time (and I am actually in bed as I write this with a book and a cup of coffee besides me - heaven).

Well done on your edition of Vernon, although I can't tell you whether or not it has increased or decreased in value. The chances are most of the first edition copies are like that, I doubt it would be an error with just your copy, and I assume this would mean it is still just as valuable. Collectors are more concerned in making sure it is a first edition in good condition without repaired dust jackets and so on.

In a similar vain, I gave a friend a first edition copy of the 1997 winner 'The God of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy for their birthday. This is valued at £150 today. The book signed, alas by me to her so it will be worthless :D.

Good luck if you do intend to sell it, although I would suggest keeping hold of it for a while.

Mxx

Thanks for your reply. I do not think I would sell it just yet, but if as is likely it has some value I will probably take greater care of it as it's a good feeling having a sought after book.
By the way who are the most popular authors on this site, at the moment I am reading quite a lot of John Grisham books.

Hello and welcome to the Book Forum, John.

Members here seem to have quite a variety of tastes in authors. I'm sure you'll find other John Grisham fans. I read a number of his earlier books - eg. The Firm, Pelican Brief, The Chamber, A Time to Kill - but none of his more recent ones.

John Grisham is just flavour of the month. It depends on my mood as to what I pick up and read.

I also read John Grisham. I have read everything that he has written except "The Chamber". I loved everything he wrote in his earlier years. After that, it seemed like every second one rather bored me. And "Bleachers" is just brutal, unless you like football perhaps, which I don't. However, he still is one of my favourite authors, and I am looking forward to his new release in February.

Hey John :) Welcome to the Forums!!

Big John Grisham fan here too - i must have read most of his books (although not the most recent two as i only buy them in paperback :p

Phil

Hello and welcome! :) I haven't read any recent Grishams, just a couple of the early ones ("The Firm," "The Pelican Brief," and "The Client").

Back