• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Stephen Hawking book coming soon

Motokid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5075516.stm <-- clicky

Physicist Stephen Hawking and his daughter are to write a science book for children which will be "a bit like Harry Potter", but without the magic.

They aim to explain theoretical physics in an accessible way to youngsters.

Professor Hawking became famous for his bestseller A Brief History of Time, which attempted to simplify cosmology, the Big Bang and black holes.

His daughter Lucy said their forthcoming project would be aimed at people like her own eight-year-old son.

"It is a story for children, which explains the wonders of the universe," she said.

She did not provide any further details, nor a likely publication date.

Professor Hawking - a professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge - has sold more than 10 million copies of A Brief History of Time since it was first published in 1988.
:D :D ;)

A good move from Hawkings. This shall help more people be interesting in science (rather than science fiction ;) ).

HONG KONG - The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy Earth, world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking said Tuesday.

Humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years, the British scientist told a news conference.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system," added Hawking, who came to Hong Kong to a rock star's welcome Monday. Tickets for his lecture Thursday were sold out.

Hawking said that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100 years, they should have space settlements that can continue without support from Earth.

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species," Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

Could be a very interesting story he tells. ;)

For full story clicky here

Okay, that scares the hell out of me!! Yet I find it fascinating at the same time. I'm re-watching "Stephen Hawking's Universe" for the millionth time as I type. I was watching one of the episodes last night, then went to bed and dreamt of the earth being pounded by tiny but (obviously) deadly meteors and then a huge black hole opening up and -

anyway, I ramble. It would be interesting to see whether or not Hawking discusses the viability of these new habitats in a way that the lay reader can comprehend.

Back