• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New to the site

Vicky

I have recently joined the site, and I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am a homeschooling mother of a 10 year old daughter. I do a lot of reading when teaching my daughter, but I also love to read for relaxation.

I enjoy a lot of different types of books, but my passions are classics like Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensability etc, and anything historical. I love Tudor English history and Australian History.

I have just started reading The Hobbit, as it is one I have never got to before. Has anyone else read it, if so, what did you think?

It is great to see so many booklovers in one place. It would have to be my idea of heaven.

Cheers, Vicky

Welcome to the book forum Vicky, the friendliest forum on the net.

It is nice to see new members from "down-under" where the sun never stops shining.

I read "The Hobbit" quite a few years ago prior to moving on to "Lord of the Rings".

The Hobbit is a good introduction to "Middle Earth" and "Lord of the Rings" a natural progression from it.

I hope you will enjoy visiting The Book Forum regularly.

Regards Ian

Thanks for the welcome. It does seem like a friendly place to be:) :)

I found a discussion about The Hobbit as I read further into the threads. There is just so much to catch up on........I love it.

You aren't far wrong about the sun always shining Ian. I just wish it wouldn't bring so much heat with it. The bushfires are terrible here at the moment.

Thanks again for the welcome. I will certainly be a regular from here on in.

Cheers, Vicky

Originally posted by Ian Sanders
Welcome to the book forum Vicky, the friendliest forum on the net.

It is nice to see new members from "down-under" where the sun never stops shining.

I read "The Hobbit" quite a few years ago prior to moving on to "Lord of the Rings".

The Hobbit is a good introduction to "Middle Earth" and "Lord of the Rings" a natural progression from it.

I hope you will enjoy visiting The Book Forum regularly.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

I was just looking where you are from. I was born in the UK, Huddersfield in Yorkshire, but my dad was born in Preston. Are you anywhere near there?

Cheers, Vicky

Great to have you on board. The Hobbit is like an old friend--I try to visit as often as possible. You're right about the threads, they are great. See you around...

Hi Vicky! I'm new here too but it seems like such a great, friendly place :D Glad you're enjoying the Hobbit, one of my favourites!

Hi Vicky,

Welcome to the forum.

I've read the Hobbit twice!--and the trilogy, too--twice.

Sorta cheated though. Didn't read either of them per se. Audio Books publishes the unabridged versions on cassette. I borrowed them from the library.

But why not just read them? It was a family activity. The first time was when our now-20-year-old daughter was about ten and then again when our 13-year-old son was about the same age. We spend a lot of time in the car and it's the perfect activity for that. It's hard for the kids to fall asleep when Golumb is slithering around the cave mumbling about his precious. It happens that the series is done by a truly wonderful narrator who does the various voices so well that one easily recognizes each character.

No, I'm not recommending spoken word to replace books, but it is a great way for a number of people to together experience the same wonder as one reading alone.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

Hi obarz

I also love audio books. My daughter has several she listen to from the Narnia series to Enid Blyton. We used them in the car as well when we were taking long drives, and they keep them amused for ages. I also have some of the Austen classics and Agatha Christie on audio as well.

They certainly aren't a replacement for books, but it is really relaxing to listen to them in bed at night, or when you are painting or doing needlework.

Cheers, Vicky

Back