• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Newer books with huge font = bad

Yes please leave us oldies some large print books, we still want to be able to read you know. Must admit that when I was younger, I wouldn't be seen dead with a large-print book.

ABC and Miss Shelf, I have multi-focal glasses, which are supposed to make you see at any distance. They look just like ordinary glasses and the change in focus is more gradual. However, it's probably just me, but I can see better up close with my eyes, so am continually peering over the top of my glasses to see labels at the supermarket. Am sure everyone thinks I'm a twit. It's great that I can still read in bed, any font size.

I think I'd hesitate to get those glasses, since I can't see far (I keep forgetting if this is farsighted or nearsighted), I don't want to keep moving my head up and down to get the best view. And it's just one of my eyes that is affected, the other is normal. I also peer over the top of my glasses to read labels in the supermarket, and I don't really have a problem with taking my glasses off to read except there never seems to be a good place to put them.

I will NOT have any laser surgery on my eye because I have a horror of having my eye touched. I also don't want to run any risks where my eyes are concerned, even though I hear with the laser surgery there's a low risk anything will go wrong-with me, it's almost certain that something will go wrong, that's how my luck runs. :rolleyes: It's an ordeal for me to have my eyes examined when I have the dreaded glaucoma test, but I'm getting better at it. I've accepted that some things in life are inconveniences. ;)

It does not matter whether it is large front or not, what matter is the value of the book, is it a book of meanings. That is what is important.

At least, this is my humble opinion. :p

Miss Shelf said:
It's an ordeal for me to have my eyes examined when I have the dreaded glaucoma test, but I'm getting better at it.

Is that when they shine that super bright light so they can see the back of your eyeball? That one makes my palms sweat. :eek:

That's the one where the doctor holds your eyelid open so you don't blink when he puts that machine right against your eyeball. Before mine started holding my eyelid open I would blink, and man, does that hurt.

:eek: OMG, never heard of that! I'd refuse. I honestly don't think I could handle that. I get queasy very, very easily. :eek:

If you've ever worn contacts, it makes you a lot less sensitive. But when I got them the optician said some people just can't wear them, purely because they can't stand to put their finger in their eye, so you are not alone.
And I agree about laser surgery Miss Shelf, think my sight is too valuable to take even the slightest risk.

Miss Shelf said:
My problem is I can't wear my glasses while reading, but when I look up from the book to the TV, I can't see the TV. I suppose I need bifocals, but I guess I'll just have to put my glasses on a chain around my neck, which I swore I would never do. Getting older is tough. :(

both my glasses are small half frames, so i can wear them down my nose a bit, like an old schoolmarm... lol.. but i only need glasses for close work, and the computer monitor, and a stranger pair for reading.. but if i look at the tv or anything in the distance with my glasses, my stomach feels wrong! lol.. and i don't care how it looks, it works for me.. :)

I got (daily disposable) contact lenses last year and love them, but it took three hour-long sessions for them to teach me to put the lenses in and take them out again. I thought I would never manage it. I suppose it's a question of overcoming the 30-year-long reflex to shut your eye whenever someone's (even your own) finger comes near it...

I'm not vain. I find that glasses are very handy for protection from things such as grapefruit spits; twirled spaghetti sauce; and sloppy kisses from the dog. :D

I do quite enjoy reading books with larger print. I like to read in bed before I fall asleep, and I've fallen asleep so many times wearing glasses that I'm continually bending them out of shape!

cabbagescribe said:
Am I the only one who notices how huge a waste of paper that recently-published books are? I am not commenting here on the quality of the actual stories, but on the printing itself. As an example, I am reading "The Tyrant's Novel" by Thomas Keneally for school. Each page has very heavy paper, with margins nearing an inch on each side. The font size is huge: there can't be more than 200 words a page.

Am I the only one that likes the style in which old books are printed? Smallish font, nice light pages, and if softcover, actually BENDABLE?
I agree with you. I like font that's just big enough to read without straining yourself and paragraphs that are not spaced-out too much. The thickness doesn't bother me, although I haven't thought much about it. What really bugs me is on a Bible I have, the pages are so thin that they tear nearly every time I turn them.

Back