• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nick Hornby: About A Boy

Ell

About A Boy is a book I normally wouldn't pick for myself. You might say, it, picked me. I had recently read an article in the newspaper about Book Crossing, a website that encourages readers and book lovers to set their books free "into the wild" once they are done reading them. A few days later, I found About A Boy on a magazine rack at a Starbucks inside the Safeway where I grocery shop. I figured it was too much of a coincidence and just had to read it. I'm glad I did.

Set in London, the story is equally that of Will, an attractive, single, 36 year-old man and Marcus, an odd-looking, nerdy, 12 year-old boy. Hornby gives equal weight to Marcus and Will by using the simple but effective method of alternating chapters as each tells the story from their own perspective.

Will is an irresponsible and completely self-involved individual, who, thanks to the royalties from a Christmas song written by his father, has never had to work a day in his life. He has a nice, ordered, tidy life. He is content. The only stress in his life involves figuring out how he can meet attractive women. He likes the idea of having a girlfriend, but plots his escape from them as soon as things get too serious or complicated. Anything that involves real emotion, or "mess" is not for him. He thinks he has found the perfect ploy when he joins a single-parents group called SPAT (Single Parents, Alone Together) where almost all the members are women. He invents Ned, a two year old son, and learns to act empathetic when the women complain about their exes. He is particularly attracted to Suzie. The problem is, she wants to meet Ned, and he is running out of excuses why she can't meet him.

Enter Marcus. He has just moved to London with his mother, Fiona, and has enrolled in a new school where he looks and feels totally out of place. Fiona has raised him surrounded by her own ex-hippy music (his favourite singer is Joni Mitchell), fashion, and ideals - virtually, in a bubble that excludes anything contemporary. Therefore, he doesn't know anything about the latest music groups, sports teams, latest fashions, or for that matter, current slang. He dresses oddly, but doesn't know it. What's worse, he takes everything literally. He has no sense of irony or sarcasm, so is ill-equiped to handle the rough and tumble of usual school-yard banter. He is the perfect target for bullies. However, he can't talk to his mother about it because she spends much of her time, inexplicably, crying. He knows his life is "crap", but he doesn't know why.

Both Marcus and Will can't seem to have normal relationships, but for totally different reasons; Will because he doesn't want to get involved in emotional and messy relationships, and Marcus because he doesn't know how to relate to people like a regular twelve year old.

Will's and Marcus's lives collide when Suzie, who is a friend of Fiona, agrees to take Marcus on a picnic with Will and her daughter. When they return from the picnic, they discover that Fiona has attempted suicide. From this point on, Will is dragged into Marcus's messy, crappy life. Their relationship is a bumpy one as Marcus clings to Will in the hope that Will can "fix" things and make his life better. Little does he know that Will hasn't an altruistic bone in his body and has no desire to get involved. Gradually, however, Marcus worms his way into Will's life by sheer determination (one time, he buzzes Will's flat for 30 minutes straight until Will answers).

I really liked this book. The contrast between the flippant, sarcastic Will and the sombre, literal Marcus made for some hilariously absurd moments. Was it realistic? I don't know, but it's kind of nice to think that two individuals who are so cut off from real life in totally different ways can change. In the end there is no straight-forward happy-ever-after ending, but there is a glimmer of hope that they've become better human-beings because of their friendship.

This is a hopeful, feel-good book. I've passed it back into the Book Crossing wild and hope someone else will pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did.

- August, 2002.

From Ell's Reviews

I also enjoyed this book - although it was one I would never have picked up myself; I recieved it as a present. I also liked the recent film starring Hugh Grant, I thought it captured the characters well.

It did influence me to try other Nick Hornby's 'How to be Good' but I found this lacking - I just couldn't find any way to like the main character, she's so negative and cynical about everything!

Ell - did anyone else pick this book up after you released it? I've just joined bookcrossing and registered my first book (finding something I'd like others to read but can bear to part with is difficult!). I hope to release it sometime this week.

Originally posted by Deerskin
It did influence me to try other Nick Hornby's 'How to be Good' but I found this lacking - I just couldn't find any way to like the main character, she's so negative and cynical about everything!
I went bookshopping today, and I got How to be Good as well. I haven't finished it yet (I'll be starting chapter 10 soon), but even if it does strike me as a bit "too much" at times (it gave me that William Sutcliffe feel), I think I'm liking it. I'll have to finish the book to make sure though.

"Cynism is our shared common language, the Esperanto that actually caught on" :p

Posted by Deerskin
Ell - did anyone else pick this book up after you released it?
Yes, someone did find it.

They read it, made another journal entry and re-released it in September. No entries since then - but I think it sometimes takes awhile. Eg.- I found Captain Corelli's Mandolin in August, but only recently got around to reading it. I've re-released it and will patiently await another entry.

My biggest fear in releasing books is that they'll end up in a dumpster somewhere - never to be seen again! :(

Originally posted by lies
... I got How to be Good as well. I haven't finished it yet (I'll be starting chapter 10 soon), but even if it does strike me as a bit "too much" at times... :p
Mmm, yes, must agree. (Hello everyone, by the way.) Unlike Hornby's other books, his characters in this one just don't feel real. About A Boy (named, incidentally, after Nirvana's About A Girl) was a good example of this, as was High Fidelity - a corker of a book, and not a bad film despite its transfer from London to Chicago - and Fever Pitch, Hornby's quasi-fictional homage to Arsenal FC (which made a better film than book, to be honest).

Hornby's got a bit carried away with his own hype, I suspect. One of the founders of the so-called "Lad Lit" movement, he's probably already written the best stuff he's going to write, and just hasn't realised it yet.

(What a horrible thing to write about an author, eh? I've just damned him in one sentence. Fortunately for him, people will now go on buying his books no matter what, on the strength of his best works.)

Tobytook

I havn't read the book but I loved the movie.

It seemed like a "chick flick" but I sometimes like those so I watched it and it was great. If you liked the book you may like the movie as well.

I will have to pick up the book and check it out now!

About A Boy (the movie)

I saw the movie and thought it was a very good adaptation of the book.

Hugh Grant was a believable Will and the boy who played Marcus, though not how I pictured him from the book, did an excellent job portraying a nerdy kid who doesn't know how to fit in.

I read the book a while ago and enjoyed it, although not as much as High Fidelity (one of my alltime favs :) )

The film was a good, faithful adaptation, even if they did mess around with the ending to make it 'feel good' - and Hugh Grant was great, he set exactly the write tone for the character :cool:

Incidentally, i didnt enjoy his latest all that much, it was a bit confusing and went on for a bit too long in my opinion - hopefully his next will be better :)

Incidentally, i didnt enjoy his latest all that much, it was a bit confusing and went on for a bit too long in my opinion - hopefully his next will be better
Nick Hornby's latest or Hugh Grant's? :confused:

LOL, sorry for the confusion, i meant 'How to be Good', Nick Hornby's latest :)

As for Hugh Grants latest, well i doubt ive seen it :p

No i thoroughly enjoyed Bridget Jones Diary, especially the 'fight' between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth which was hilarious! :D

Pointless post alert

I'm reading the forums and it makes me want to read so many books! i bought this second hand in charity shop(every charity shop in Dublin has a copy of the book and the movie on vhs i swear!) Oh i should throw down everything and read.

About me

i like the " i didn't pick the book the book pick me" i hav a similar story. my bookcase has mostly fantasy and classic books. i don't read books like this. when this movie came out i remember all the good reviews it got so i wanted to see it. after some yrs pass by finally i saw it and even stayed up late watching it until the end because i was enjoying it. so of course i had to find out who wrote the book and went to borders to buy it on my lunch break.
this book N movie should b recommended to everyone because its truly entertaining. i just recently let someone who loves to read like i do read the book and look at the movie (which by the way she had't heard about it)and she enjoy it too:)

Back