• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nobel Prize for literature 2009

If the peace award is any indication, future awardees for Literature could be those who smart talk about the great literary work that they plan to do it...:lol:

At least it would have been a Nobel Prize in Mathematics. But just out of curiosity, when did people start saying "maths" instead of mathematics, or am I much much older than I think I am. Or maybe I'm just in the wrong time and the wrong place . . . the wrong song in the wrong style . . . the wrong game with the wrong chips . . . though tempting, they're the wrong lips. . . -- Cole Porter.

Who?

:flowers:

At least it would have been a Nobel Prize in Mathematics. But just out of curiosity, when did people start saying "maths" instead of mathematics, or am I much much older than I think I am. Or maybe I'm just in the wrong time and the wrong place . . . the wrong song in the wrong style . . . the wrong game with the wrong chips . . . though tempting, they're the wrong lips. . . -- Cole Porter.

Who?

Since you asked:

maths, n.

Mathematics (esp. as studied at school).
Cf. MATH n.3 (the usual colloquial abbreviation in North America).

1911 W. OWEN Let. 14 Sept. (1967) 81 The Answers to Maths. Ques. were given us all this morning. 1917 Wireless World Sept. 385 Extremely ‘rusty’ in ‘maths’. 1948 Popular Sci. Sept. 87/2 Amaze others. Add columns instantly... Maths Institute, Box 463, Nashville 2. Tenn. 1960 M. SPARK Bachelors x. 155 I've got a pile of homework to do. Maths papers. 1976 Beano 10 Jan. 2/2 Who will volunteer for the school chair?.. Anyone who doesn't will do extra maths. 1990 Times Educ. Suppl. 30 Nov. 13/5 The idea that more emphasis should be placed on coursework will not be welcomed by most maths teachers. 2006 J. ROBERTSON Test. Gideon Mack (2007) xvi. 125 The education authorities wanted teachers of Maths and Science, not of literature.

Source: OED online.

O and the variety without the s was used as early as 1847. Look:

math, n.3
N. Amer. colloq.

Mathematics (esp. as a subject of study at school or college).
Cf. MATHS n. (the usual British colloquial abbreviation).

1847 W. G. HAMMOND Diary 4 June in G. F. Whicher Remembrance of Amherst (1946) 120 It rained so that we had a math. lesson indoors. 1878 N.Y. Herald 10 June 3/5 Bad enough to get found on math..as I did to-day... Found deficient in mathematics. 1891 R. F. MURRAY Scarlet Gown 71 You see, I'm in for Math. again, And certain to be ploughed. 1899 J. LONDON Let. 24 Oct. (1966) 62 She's well up in the higher math. 1916 T. WOLFE Let. Sept. (1958) 4, I hope I will do well in all my studies and my guess is I'll have to ‘bone’ on math. 1961 C. WINSTON Hours Together (1962) vii. 139 There was Morton Kersh, with the math book propped against the milk bottle on the kitchen table. 1988 J. GLEICK Chaos 250 A physics student would take a math course.

Also from the OED. :flowers:

Testament that made Alfred Nobel should be checked and who, nowadays, assume the competences for choosing candidates to Nobel, they also should award a prize to maths discipline. IMO, Mathematics is the mother of all sciences and contributes to all the fields for which nobel prizes are awarded. ;)

You're welcome to check the will yourself. It's pretty specific.

Excerpt from the Will of Alfred Nobel

His money, his prize, his choice on whom or what to reward. It's not like there aren't plenty of mathematics awards anyway.

Incidentally, I picked up Müller's Atemschaukel. Looks pretty damn good.

Polly,
Live and learn!
Many thanks for your serious answer to my serious question. It is a subject I have studied and been interested in all my life, and I have truly never heard the usage "maths" outside of Internet forums.
Amazing.
Peder

It's not like there aren't plenty of mathematics awards anyway].

Tack :) for you link beer good.. Well, The Nobel Prize in Economics, the only award not included in Nobel's will, was created by the Swedish Central Bank ( Sveriges Riksbank) in 1968. Besides, the Nobel prize in Economics is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA), a scientific organization that promote primarily the natural sciences and Mathematics.. Then, why there is not a Nobel prize in Mathematics yet?
IMO, it seems an implausible fact.

Well, The Nobel Prize in Economics, the only award not included in Nobel's will, was created by the Swedish Central Bank ( Sveriges Riksbank) in 1968.
Which is why many, including those who created it and many of those who have won it, don't consider it one of the Nobel prizes. It's not even called the Nobel Prize in Economics, it's the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. Like I said above, it's an independent award that sort of piggybacks on the others.

Besides, the Nobel prize in Economics is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA), a scientific organization that promote primarily the natural sciences and Mathematics..
Awarded by, yes. Created by, no. For starters, I doubt they have the sort of cash necessary to set up a prize of the same magnitude.

To be honest, I have no idea why it would matter that the Nobel prizes, who have no official status of any kind and were never intended to, don't include a maths award. There's no Nobel Prize in music either, or in architecture, or in ecology, or in... well, any discipline beyond the five. If you want a similar prize for maths, what about the Abel Prize?

On an unrelated note, I think Jimi Hendrix should have recorded an album made up entirely of Bob Dylan covers. Why didn't he? Huh? And why won't someone record a Jimi Hendrix album of Bob Dylan covers now? :innocent:

To be honest, I have no idea why it would matter that the Nobel prizes, who have no official status of any kind and were never intended to, don't include a maths award. There's no Nobel Prize in music either, or in architecture, or in ecology, or in... well, any discipline beyond the five. If you want a similar prize for maths, what about the Abel Prize?

I don't want to enter a long debate about Mathematics discipline ( the language of science) and all the prizes.. I had some doubts regarding your thread. Well, you are swedish citizen so you could help me to clear up my knowledge gap. Maybe, the key about this riddle can be Gösta Mittag-Leffler.
Tack så mycket beer good :)

Polly,
Live and learn!
Many thanks for your serious answer to my serious question. It is a subject I have studied and been interested in all my life, and I have truly never heard the usage "maths" outside of Internet forums.
Amazing.
Peder

You're welcome. :)

I don't want to enter a long debate about Mathematics discipline ( the language of science) and all the prizes.. I had some doubts regarding your thread. Well, you are swedish citizen so you could help me to clear up my knowledge gap. Maybe, the key about this riddle can be Gösta Mittag-Leffler.
Tack så mycket beer good :)

Very very late reply but I only just stumbled across this on Snopes so I thought I'd post it here for completeness' sake:

snopes.com: No Nobel Prize for Math

Back