• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nobel Prize in Literature 2006

Yes, congrats to Mr P. At least this means I can now definitively stop trying to get through his books...

Do you not enjoy his books? I had never heard of him but with the announcement yesterday I took a look at Snow and The Black Book. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stop myself from buying one of the two tomorrow with the store credit I have.

I got stuck about 50 pages into My Name is Red, and have been (perhaps rather easily) put off trying him since.

Unsurprisingly, the Portuguese publisher that holds the rights to Pamuk's books here is about to print two more books by him, including Snow. I'm really curious to read something by him.

I'm amazed that it's an author who has no less than four books in print in Swedish :eek: and has already sold quite a bit and is read. I've picked up The black book and am curious about it as soon as I'm finished with Rushdie. It's very promising that the motto of the book is that a book should never have a motto (or words to that effect)... :rolleyes:

*mrkgnao*

I got stuck about 50 pages into My Name is Red, and have been (perhaps rather easily) put off trying him since.

Same for me. I rather liked the poetic writing, but most of the time didn't even know what he was referring to and had trouble following his thoughts, so I kept putting it down. I pushed myself till I got to page 200, then gave up definitely. The book has over 700 pages. Finishing it probably would have taken me years.

If anyone's interested, here is Pamuk's Nobel lecture.

I am now going to speak of this weight’s meaning. It is what a person creates when he shuts himself up in a room, sits down at a table, and retires to a corner to express his thoughts – that is, the meaning of literature.

Much like his books, it's... not short.

The meaning of literature is to be an anti-social reclusive loon who rejects personal hygiene?

Howard Hughes is the meaning of literature!

Yes, that's exactly what it says. Of course, we know that most great writers write their best work in crowded bars or while running the New York Marathon, but...

Back