• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Non-existent Film-adaptations

Martin

Simple question this time:

Name the one book that you think should be transformed into a film, and motivate please.

Cheers, Martin :D

Nowadays, it's hard to find a good and interesting book that hasn't been filmed yet, don't you think? Cause there is a tendency to film simply everything...even comics.

Oddkins by Dean R Koontz

With animation being what it is nowadays I think this book could be done really well. I would love to see the characters that were so beautifully illustrated in the book, be brought to life on the big screen. It's a classic tale of good vs evil, of friendship and of courage. Therefore, done in the animation form, it would be a great and moralistic movie for both children and adults - this would live up to the books slogan of 'A fable for all ages'.

Mxx

Murphyz - I've never heard of Oddkins, and I thought I had all of Koontz's books! Is it a children's book?

Yes and No. As I say, it's a fable for all ages and I first read it as a child, due to the fact it's part graphic novel, but it's not childish and solely for children.

The book is actually out of print now and I managed to pick up my copy from Ebay (spending more on a book than I ever have before) but you may be lucky in getting a copy from your local library.

A little more information if given here:
http://www.kingofhorror.com/koontz/books/oddkins.htm

Mxx

Thank for that link, murphyz. I checked it out, and you were absolutely right, is does sound like a great animated movie. Sounds a bit like 'Toy Story', but with an edge (and we all know 'Toy Story' didn't exactly tank at the box-office).

By the way, a question to both of you, murphyz & Halo, is Dean Koontz one to check out. I haven't read anything by him, despite the fact that his name keeps popping up every now and then. What's he about?!

As for non-existent film-adaptations, I think, with modern day special effects, Douglas Adams' 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' would make a very funny film. Too bad Adams isn't around any more to write a screenplay, because it would need some work (simply because many of the jokes in the novels are language-orientated; wordplay and puns). I would like to see hollywood give it an effort though.

Not only should but will be made into movie

:D My name happens to be Martin also. I am partial because I know the author, but the book I am looking forward to see on the silver screen is "Madam the Grass is High". It's a strange title for our modern times, but it is explained at the very end of the book. It's a good fun fictional love story, but has all kinds of elements running through it. Most of it is light-hearted with a humorous thread running through it, but it can also get really serious about the transforming power of love theme in it. It has some interaction and contrast between the younger and older generation. It looks like the perfect character to play the male lead will be Jack Nicholson, as you will see if you read the book. You can almost see traces of the "One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest" character. But you know how Jack does those double personality characters so well. Here's another opportunity with some surprises. Jack has said he wants to play the part. What will also make the movie a success is the scenery that the story calls for. To fulfill that it will be filmed in Hawaii, where there are abundant paradise and variety scenes to choose from. I am fortunate to know the author, assistant producer and stunt man, and to live in Hawaii to see it filmed in Hawaii.

Speaking of authors known - I used to know Rebecca Teacher who wrote 'Rainbow Magic'. It's the only book I ever read of hers, and I did so after we walked into a shop in the North of Scotland, she requested a copy of the book from the shop keeper - free because she had written it - signed it and handed it over. (subsequently that copy was leant out and never returned so I had to re-buy it).

Anyhoo, last I heard someone was making it into a film without her permission, she sued the company for £1,000,000+ and I've never seen her again.

Mxx

McForum said:
I am fortunate to know the author, assistant producer and stunt man, and to live in Hawaii to see it filmed in Hawaii.
Wow, people actually live in Hawai!

Cool.

Actually the two people who are directing the movie are more facinating to know than characters in any movie. Dennis and Dale have extraordinary backgrounds. You can learn a little about Dennis on his website (www.booksnflicks.com), and Dale in short is a police officer, sous chef, artistic ice carver, documentary producer, and stunt man. If you saw "Pearl Harbor", you probably saw him doing stunts, and other Hawaii filmed movies. How does have time and energy to do all those things?

From the coconut juice and the barely clad and presumably lovely ladies waving at him with huge palm leaves, right?

Actually life is the most interesting story that is being written. There are major currents and themes unfolding all the time. It looks like civilization is heading towards the brink of self-destruction, but will man pull it off? History says there has to be major destruction to wipe off most of the evil before anything good can start.

Back