• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Non-fiction Stephen King

sirmyk

Anyone care to reflect on the following titles by Stevey?

• Danse Macabre
  • On Writing
  • Secret Windows

Disclaimer: This thread is for those who actually enjoyed the works mentioned above. If you hate Mr. King or despise any of these works, please create a separate "I hate Stephen King" thread and leave this one open for those who wish to discuss his non-fiction work in a positive manner. :eek:

Edit: Thanks for moving me to the right place.

On Writing is more of an inspirational book, with only a little nuts-and-bolts instruction. I happened to get more inspiration out of Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. I see On Writing as a guy's version of Bird by Bird, but I notice that some women here have enjoyed it too.

For the practical instruction, I recommend Stein on Writing. King's book, however, is essential for his fans--partly autobiographical, it is a chance to hear his personal voice.

I really enjoyed On Writing and would recommend it to anyone regardless if they had writing aspirations themselves or not. In fact I don't feel qualified to say whether his advice in that regard is good or not.

I can't believe he managed to write all he did wasted on coke and listerine.

I enjoyed On Writing for the autobiographical bits as much if not more than for the writing advice. It shows that he's always had a passion for writing and he's not just a hack doing it for the money (as some would have us believe).

Ell said:
It shows that he's always had a passion for writing and he's not just a hack doing it for the money (as some would have us believe).
He was eager to write at an early age. He even started his own 'poor boy' press with his brother.

ions said:
I can't believe he managed to write all he did wasted on coke and listerine.
I think he included his difficult times as a writer to help relay what not to do as a writer. Just the fact that he couldn't remember writing The Tommyknockers is more frightening than any horror novel. He's really cleaned up his life since then, and it reflects in his recent writing (1980-something forward).

sirmyk said:
Anyone care to reflect on the following titles by Stevey?
  • Danse Macabre
  • On Writing
  • Secret Windows
I couldn't get through Danse Macabre, but I tried to read it when I was in High School, when I was more interested in belly-button fuzz than heavy non-fiction.

Haven't heard of Secret Windows, I was thinking of the short story Secret Window, Secret Garden?

On Writing was given to me by my sister-in-law who found it in the "fiction" section of a bookstore. She had no clue what it was. It has been the single most activity generating book I have ever read. Reading this book made me believe that I could be a writer, despite what my parents told me, and despite the heckling from friends, and despite my own doubts. In that book, he challenges the reader to write a short story about "Jane and Dick". This excercise opened my eyes, and launched me into the idea that writing would be what I would do for a living. I'm not there yet, but I know I will be, and I know that because of this book.

Maybe this is shallow, or vapid, or unrealistic, but it really doesn't matter. We all need something in our lives, whether it is a teacher who believes in us, parent(s) who encourage us, or a drive within ourselves that says "we can do it." This book gave me that.

Thanks for the opportunity to expound on this book, SirMyk!

Disclaimer: This thread is for those who actually enjoyed the works mentioned above. If you hate Mr. King or despise any of these works, please create a separate "I hate Stephen King" thread and leave this one open for those who wish to discuss his non-fiction work in a positive manner.

Apartheid returns, what fun! I'm off now to start new threads as follows:
  • I hate Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • I love the life and works of Sean Wright
  • I have never heard of Andrew Crumey or his novel Mobius Dick
  • I have no interest in the novels of Martin Amis
  • I wouldn't wipe my arse with a page from one of Patrick McGrath's gothic fictions

A ho ho. Seriously though sirmyk, are you really saying you don't want any disagreement within discussions of authors?

What about Faithful? I know he's only a co-author, but still.

I haven't read it yet, but I will admit it is on my TBR list. I've never been a Stephen King fan, but I think the book's premise is interesting. Have any of you guys read it?

Shade said:
Apartheid returns, what fun! I'm off now to start new threads as follows:
  • I hate Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  • I love the life and works of Sean Wright
  • I have never heard of Andrew Crumey or his novel Mobius Dick
  • I have no interest in the novels of Martin Amis
  • I wouldn't wipe my arse with a page from one of Patrick McGrath's gothic fictions
Have fun with that.

Shade said:
A ho ho. Seriously though sirmyk, are you really saying you don't want any disagreement within discussions of authors?
According to the disclaimer (which does nothing on this forum but possibly roll some eyes :rolleyes: ) I am not saying I don't want "any disagreement within discussions of authors", I am simply saying that this particular thread is for those that took a liking to the non-fiction books mentioned. This is a place for those whom have read Stephen King's non-fictitious work, and have gained something from them, as you can gather from some of the posts here already. If the books in question did nothing for you, then you don't need to post anything, right? But thanks for taking the discaimer as an insult (instead of as a simple dislaimer) and posting nothing relative to this thread.

mehastings said:
What about Faithful?
We can chat about Faithful, although I have never read it. I listed the three non-fiction books above (and forgot all about Faithful :eek: ) because I think they make a great collection. Faithful is a baseball book following the Red Socks last year, right?

leckert said:
I couldn't get through Danse Macabre, but I tried to read it when I was in High School, when I was more interested in belly-button fuzz than heavy non-fiction.
A while back I was into classic horror movies (black and whites from the 40s & 50s) and I picked up this book (which worked somewhat as a guide). From it I also gathered (and loved) about 50 or so classic horror novels I would never have thought of collecting before taking this horror dance.

leckert said:
Haven't heard of Secret Windows, I was thinking of the short story Secret Window, Secret Garden?
Secret Windows is a rather difficult book to find. I think it was a "book club only" follow-up to On Writing, if I am not mistaken. The horror writing section from Danse Macabre was included as part of this book.

aimages.amazon.com_images_P_0165006439.01_A3U2QCP4XYKE1R._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mehastings said:
You must be doing this to kill me. SOX! :D
Not after some games (red socks ;) ). I'm a long-time Sox fan (although I've ignored the game for some years now); just giving you grief.

Ell said:
I enjoyed On Writing for the autobiographical bits as much if not more than for the writing advice.
Me too. I'm not too big on autobiographies, but I liked the way he handled writing On Writing... It was light reading, but you got something out of it too.

Back