• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Not a clue!

stefan9107

Someone help me please.
I am young and male, so as you can imagine i would much rather be playing football or sitting on a computer game. But my dad told me i need to get reading. Following his instructions i entered my sisters room and stole the first Harry Potter book, 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.' To be honest i thought it was a really good book. So i read all of the sequels and i am eagerly anticipating the release of the next one. However that event will not take place until July, so from now until then i am stuck with nothing to read.
Fiction is really the only type of book i want to read, but i feel that i don't want to read anything that is like Chris Ryan's 'Greed', which i thought was too much like a dictation of an action film. It was an alright book (6/10) but it just didnt interest me because i like lots of imagery and descriptive text. Any suggestions of books i should read?

You might want to start with books that are like the Harry Potter series. I was particularly fond of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, which I actually think is better than Harry Potter. Artemis Fowl is good, too. Both are descriptive, and I know Bartimaeus especially has a lot of imagery. And in Bartimaeus's passages especially, you get tons of information.

It might help if you tell us more about yourself--your age, your interests.

(BTW, I seriously don't understand why anyone would rather play football than read. I honestly couldn't tell you whether you're supposed to kick or throw the football...)

You can't go far wrong with Diana Wynne Jones or Eva Ibbotson, both of whom seem to be big influences on J K Rowling. Terry Pratchett is also unputdownable and has the same sort of humour.

Glad you don't think much of the Chris Ryan style of storytelling. It sounds like you're more into depth of character and story.

Susan Cooper is another great one to try. Or you might also try one of my favourite books for young adults: Stephen King's "The Eyes of the Dragon". Not a horror story but a fantasy that is very real-feeling. I could talk for hours about how great it is...

Well if you liked Harry Potter, then you might like The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini. The first two books have already been published and the third will be out soon. The genre is fantasy and action/adventure. Although the story itself might be at a middle school level (dragon riders, elves, dwarfs, magic, etc.) the author uses a lot of detail and vocabulary that put it at a higher level.

Back