• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Not the same person after a book.

Leto_Atreides

Have you ever read a book that totally blew you away or even changed your life perspective??

The book that really made me think is the book: Luchtslag boven Berlijn ( Air raid above Berlin )

It's about a pilot who has a wife in England and fights only to get to see his wife again, and kills to prevent that others won't have to experience his experiences.

Some books may have changed my take on things a bit, but it never went as far as making me a different person. (Unless, of course, you'd argue that since part of my perspective was changed, I no longer was the same person. But that's nitpicking.)

Mind blowing books...

The book that totally blew my mind was "The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula Le Guin. Woah, that one really set off some underwater explosives (with resulting shockwaves) in my brain. I think I needed therapy after reading that book, but hopefully in a good way!
Absolutely mindblowingly magnificent book - would love to hear anyone's thoughts if they have read it.

I've got that in my TBR. But then every interesting book that I've never read usually is. :D

Are you a Le Guin fan as well?

Well, I wasn't changed when reading Donna Tartt's A Secret History, but it sure ruffled my feathers a little. It's about this group of students and things happen then they decide to kill one within the group, and what happens after the deed and their relationships among one another (pardon the crap sypnosis, but it really is much better than I make it sound).

The ending blew me away, and got me mulling about the story for days.

ds

That sounds a bit like a movie called Bully, Mr. Straits. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's basically the same job description, except the eventual desceased was a bullier of some members of the group.

The book that stands out as having changed my perspective on the world is: The Lord of the Rings. I remember walking back from some place (probably college) a couple of years ago, and as I get close to home I have to walk under a bridge. As I emerged from the anus (or mouth, if you're going in the other direction) of the bridge, I saw some battered old trees, with no leaves on them, withering away, and I felt a bit of love and an urge to care for them. I hadn't felt that kind of feeling before that time, and I attribute it to having read The Lord of the Rings. I remember, at the time, I was thinking about a part of the story where Legolas says something about walking in the forests of Lothlorien being enough rest for him, and he doesn't need to sleep like humans, and I suppose I was trying to feel really comfortable and relaxed while I was walking along - as if I were sleeping, and restoring my energy. Basically what I'm saying is, after reading the book, I feel I have more of an affinity with nature. Other books have probably changed me immensely, but none more so than The Lord of the Rings.

I did! Hehe. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Well remembered, though. It's nice to know someone pays attention to my ramblings. :D

I like this post, every post considering nature appeals to me, but my question to you is:' Do you really organise/do things to help prevent pollution so that trees can grow without disruptance from the terrible pollution?'
My intention with this post is to make clear that some people get respect for something, but they keep on neglecting the problem.

Nosferatu Man said:
That sounds a bit like a movie called Bully, Mr. Straits. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's basically the same job description, except the eventual desceased was a bullier of some members of the group.

The book that stands out as having changed my perspective on the world is: The Lord of the Rings. I remember walking back from some place (probably college) a couple of years ago, and as I get close to home I have to walk under a bridge. As I emerged from the anus (or mouth, if you're going in the other direction) of the bridge, I saw some battered old trees, with no leaves on them, withering away, and I felt a bit of love and an urge to care for them. I hadn't felt that kind of feeling before that time, and I attribute it to having read The Lord of the Rings. I remember, at the time, I was thinking about a part of the story where Legolas says something about walking in the forests of Lothlorien being enough rest for him, and he doesn't need to sleep like humans, and I suppose I was trying to feel really comfortable and relaxed while I was walking along - as if I were sleeping, and restoring my energy. Basically what I'm saying is, after reading the book, I feel I have more of an affinity with nature. Other books have probably changed me immensely, but none more so than The Lord of the Rings.

Back