• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Nothing Lost Forever" Michael Streeter

Gigohead

I'm a huge SNL fan. I especially liked NOTHING LOST FOREVER: THE FILMS OF TOM SCHILLER, the new non-fiction book byMichael Streeter. The book recounts the man responsible for a broad array of “Saturday Night Live's” most popular short films and sketches. Turning a critical and analytical eye toward Schiller's body of work, while at the same time providing exciting behind-the-scenes stories from the early days of SNL, the book delves into unexplored territory.

In a rare interview, Bill Murray, along with Lorne Michaels, Dan Aykroyd and others, discuss Schiller's work - including the unreleased film “Nothing Lasts Forever.” While famous faces as Belushi, Murray, and Chevy Chase dominated SNL, Schiller was an integral part of the show’s early success. The new book describes how Schiller developed “Samurai Hotel,” a sketch for John Belushi's famous Samurai character, and how in 1978 he directed an ironic short film starring Belushi as a 90-year-old man who visits the graves of his Saturday Night Live castmates.

Streeter describes Schiller’s thought-process as he directed a dozen other memorable short films for the show before departing in 1980. The book describes in detail the trials and subsequent disappointment Schiller experienced during his first feature, “Nothing Lasts Forever.” Written and directed by Tom Schiller in 1982, the film starred Zach Galligan ("Gremlins") and Bill Murray, and featured special appearances by Dan Aykroyd and Sam Jaffe. The black-and-white sci-fi comedy, with elements of social satire, was shelved by MGM following a corporate shuffle.

Streeter describes Schiller’s frustration with a film that was hailed as the new wave of cinema by the few who saw it, and invited to appear at the Cannes Film Festival two years in a row… yet MGM did not allow it to play. Streeter’s chronicle brilliantly captures Schiller’s enigmatic genius. Schiller’s shining talent glows through all and sundry stories gathered in the book and retold over and over by SNL alums, friends and foes alike. Tom Schiller was the writer behind the most moving, grooving and hilarious SNL skits, sketches and short films.

It has a lot of great anedotes and for someone who likes film, the book is a quick great read.

sounds really interesting... i too am a huge SNL fan...i would be curious to give it a read..thanks for the info!

Back