• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nyla Naseer: Digital Downsize

nyla

There's growing awareness of the potential problems associated with some aspects of digital technology use (especially communications tech) - problems such as behaviour programming, social isolation and addiction. Not only are individuals affected; society itself can start to lose its 'resilience'.

This book (Digital Downsize- I'm the author) looks at becoming aware of these issues and some simple steps to avoid/address falling into the trap.

What do people think about this topic?

Nyla
@nylanaseer

I haven't read your book, obviously, but your question doesn't seem to require that in order to respond to your question.

You focus on the down side, especially using "trap" as a scare word, and maybe the time has come for cautionary books such as yours. But without at least a nod toward the positive and beneficially transformative effects of the Internet/Web, your question sounds like scare-mongering.
"Growing awareness?" I haven't noticed it; undoubtedly I travel in the wrong circles, or am already programmed.
"programming?" Who, how. An example?
"social isolation?" The Web is the most horizon-expanding and welcome thing that has ever happened for people and society-- especially the home-bound and otherwise challenged.
"addiction?" maybe for some, as with all things.

Your thesis seems shaky to me, but maybe you'll tell me I am one who is most in need of your book.

Hang around a while and join in.

Hi Peder,

I've used the word Downsize - not Downside, specifically because I think that digi-tech is a real force for good - indeed I say this at length throughout the book...with plenty of examples. It is about ensuring that other skills are not lost and we don't use things in an unhealthy way. I don't mean 'Downsize' meaning using digi-tech less either - just in a balanced way along with other tools for living.

I am an avid user myself of social media and technology.

What I am saying is that we need to be aware of the good and bad. There really is a lot out there on programming, for example continuously waiting for the next tweet etc. Check out the main authoritativeness broadcasters and news-sites on how social media is linked to isolation. I sent a link about this on twitter yesterday from the BBC - but you could go to CNN, Psych pages, Huff post ..or just type into Google!

Digi-tech offers a world of opportunity, creativity and development. We need to use it to promote these great things.

Anyway - great to hear from you!

Nyla
@nylanaseer

. . . continuously waiting for the next tweet etc. Check out the main authoritativeness broadcasters and news-sites on how social media is linked to isolation. I sent a link about this on twitter yesterday from the BBC - but you could go to CNN, Psych pages, Huff post ..
Nyla
@nylanaseer

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm already doing it, (like the man who spoke prose, and wanted to learn what prose was). I don't do any of these things you mention. No TV, lo these many years, so no authroitativeness broadcasters (just the NYTimes); no twitter, no tweets; no BBC except for great dramas; no CNN; no Psychology Today or other; no Huff Post; and, perish the thought, no Facebook anymore, or LinkedIn ; and, real iconoclasty, no James Carville either. :eek:

Hi again Peder,

It sounds like you live in a very self-aware way.

However, I'm not saying don't use digi-tech (or media or anything else) - just be aware and make choices that you are in control of. For me, that means using digi-tech a lot - but in a creative way.

I suggested you check out some sites as you said you weren't that aware of the debate, they were just examples. Thanks again for your reply.

Nyla
@nylanaseer

Thanks for your examples, perhaps to broaden my tunnel vision.

In any event, hang around anyway. :)

Don't worry Peder I deliberately choose to have the same 'tunnel vision'. Who is James Carville?

News if desperately important does somehow cross my path despite very actively avoiding all news channels. The day they start publishing 'good news' instead of all the doom and gloom and everything is a horrible disaster or about to be a horrible disaster then I might start paying more attention.

I have not heard of 'digi-tech' used in that way and apparently Google hasn't either. The known world knows 'Digitech' which refers to a company.

"control" and "digital media" are a contradiction in terms. Once it is on the internet you have lost all control of it immediately. Thus the only way to have control is not put anything on the internet you don't mind the entire world knowing. And yes the entire world is in fact looking. Perhaps not all at once, but the internet and social media are not private forums. Your chitter-chatter with your family is out there for all and sundry to see, even if you have your "private" settings on max because the moment your 'friend' comments all their 'friends' and then their 'friends' and then their 'friends' can see it. NOTHING is private and NOTHING is in your control once you press 'post' or 'send'.

And to add insult to injury every single thing you do or say while logged in to certain large social media account makes them money and is stored forever and a day in their databases. At least on Google you have the option to switch off that data mining on a personal level ie what you google still adds to their database but it's not directly linked to you.

I do find the whole 'real names' thing a scary portent for a Big Brother-esque future. Along with the implications of widespread DNA analysis for disease markers.

The few times I have read something on The Huffington Post I would have to say that I do not regard it as an authoritative voice. The NY Times USED to be a lot better but I have noticed a disturbing lack of research and depth creeping in. I don't read the news but I do read other articles.)

And what happened to the good old days when the newspaper was THE final authority on a point of grammar or spelling? It seems as though effects of the appalling failure of modern schooling to impart the basics is finally making its way into the larger world.

Hi...agree with much of what you say. What you post is out there; I think it is important to make informed decisions about what you choose to do.

I made up the abbreviation digi-tech.

I just used a few names of tabs open on my browser: refer to whoever you think is authoritative! The debate is out there.

Anyway, great that people are interested in the topic. The book is an overview on some aspects of this debate. Thanks Meadow337.

Nyla

May I ask why you are soliciting opinions and offering none of your own besides a very vague "it is out there" and a punt for your book? Apart from anything else there is a specific thread to promote your book.

If you want to discuss something then please do so, otherwise one is left with feeling there is an ulterior motive here. Perhaps beyond just promoting your book.

Hi meadow, sorry to have offended you in some way. I have responded to your point and, indeed agreed with much of what you say. I don't know what you expect since I am a newcomer. However I won't post on this thread anymore. I thought it would be good to get people talking. I am quite a concise person, and I like to get people taking; everyone is different!
All the best... Nyla.

hmm but isn't the way to do that through a two way conversation? I'm not offended, but your replies were suddenly just too vague for me, in a way that made me wonder what is going on here? Research? Simply promoting your book? Which is absolutely fine btw - in the right thread.

Otherwise please tell us what YOU think!

The problem that I see with media is a problem that spans across "old" and "new" media alike. A key example was this past week when I listened to Anderson Cooper attempt to have an intelligent conversation with Nancy Reagan and James A. Baker III on the death of Margaret Thatcher. The questions were simplistic, banal, and unrevealing. It didn't speak well of his major in political science from what is rumored to be a highly prestigious university. I don't care if it old or new media, I'm just hungry for journalism that is well worth its name.

The problem that I see with media is a problem that spans across "old" and "new" media alike. A key example was this past week when I listened to Anderson Cooper attempt to have an intelligent conversation with Nancy Reagan and James A. Baker III on the death of Margaret Thatcher. The questions were simplistic, banal, and unrevealing. It didn't speak well of his major in political science from what is rumored to be a highly prestigious university. I don't care if it old or new media, I'm just hungry for journalism that is well worth its name.

Well that's an old and ongoing issue now isn't it?

Back