• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Obert Skye: Leven Thumps

pixidance

I've read the first two of these books and immediately fell in love and have recommended them to everyone I know.

The opening paragraph of the first book completely hooked me. It's one of the best opening paragraphs I think I've read in contemporary fiction.

"It was forty degrees above warm. The day felt like a windowless kitchen where the oven had been left on high for an entire afternoon... The sky had decided it had had quite enough, thank you, and had vacated the scene leaving the air empty except for the heat...The few remaining plants in people's gardens didn't droop, they passed out. And the flags that had only days before hung majestically on the top of local flagpoles no longer looked majestic, they looked like multi-colored pieces of cloth that had climbed up and tragically hung themselves."

I found it very refreshing to find a book marketed for children that had excellent and descriptive writing, great storytelling, and an ability to engage a child. I wish more children's authors didn't assume that children needed to be talked down to and wrote as eloquently as Obert Sky.

I was just curious if anyone else is familiar with this series. They're witty, beautifully written, engaging and wonderful :) Some scenes had my 10 year old roaring with laughter as well as myself.

leventhumps dot com gives a pretty god rundown :)

It's a fantasy series about the land of Foo which is what allows humans to dream. Very good ;)

I have read all three of the Leven Thumps books and found them to be very enjoyable and greatly imaginative. My favorite thing about this series is that the fantasy is not based on any of the usual fantasy groups like fairies, goblins, elves, etc. Very original.

Leven Thumps?

Leven Thumps is a popular children's fantasy series by writer Obert Skye. The series, projected to have five books, deals with an orphaned 14-year old boy, Leven Thumps, who becomes involved in a battle between good and evil.[1][2] The five books in the series are titled Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (2005),[3] Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (2006),[3] Leven Thumps and the Eyes of The Want (2007), and Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (2008). Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (2009) (Which has yet to gain a release date). These books were originally published by Shadow Mountain Publishing,[4]Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo won the Benjamin Franklin award from the Independent Book Publishers Association in 2006.

Back