• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Ned: Part two

Slugbaby

‘You, okay boy?’ Shouted Ned concerned for his new found companions safety.

‘Yeh! What were those things?’ replied Flynn confirming he was safe and venturing to satisfy his curiosity.

‘Owls!’ Said Ned, ‘Black Owls, but not like any Owls you would have seen.’

‘Owls?’ questioned Flynn, ‘why would Owls attack anybody? It’s not normal.’

Relighting the fire with notable ease Ned said, ‘they’re no Owl born of nature. Those creatures are abominations of the Ajya-na-ku’s making.’

‘But I thought they lived over the mountains, far from here. Many say they’re just the thing of stories and my mother said I shouldn’t worry too much about those kind of things.’ Flynn’s curiosity now aroused he drew closer to the fire to speak with Old Ned.

‘True, they’ve not been around these parts much since before you were born. Figure they thought that with a war raging between the forest tribes there was little need to enforce their claims.’ Ned pulled up a blanket and threw it at the boy, ‘put that over ya, afore ya start t freeze.

‘I saw those flashes,’ said Flynn, his words caused Ned to chuckle and with a hearty laugh he said, ‘well my lad, I’m quite sure ya did. Couldn’t really miss em in the dark now could ya.’ He said trying to contain his laughter.

‘No, I mean,’ replied Flynn pausing suddenly hesitant of whether or not to ask his next question. ‘Are you a Sorcerer?’

The old man laughed even louder and between his amusements gave his answer,
‘Nay lad, I’m not quite that good,’ he chortled before adding, ‘yet!’

‘A Mage then?’ pressed Flynn.

‘A Wizard,’ replied Ned, ‘of sorts. Though it’s been sometime since I’ve had the calling.

‘So why did they attack?’ asked the boy still curious about the Black Owls presence.

‘They’re merely showing the people of the forest that Markesh is still theirs. They did the same after the battle of the Ten Tribes. A brief incursion to remind us who rules this continent. I’m surprised you and your mother didn’t see them back then?’

The boy suddenly went quiet and Ned noting the change asked in a gentler yet almost magical and soothing voice, ‘you lost your father? I’m sorry, I was unaware.’

Flynn’s eyes welled up as repressed emotions came flooding back, ‘he fell at the battle and never came home. My mother was heartbroken, I tried to be strong but the pain was too much. I tried so hard.’

‘It’s alright lad, I’m sure your father’d be proud of ya. Yer a fine lad and a credit to ya mother. Now come, get some rest we’ll get ya home come the dawn.’ Ned spoke even softer than before and on his breath he carried the mystical dance of drowsiness. The gentle spell embraced the boy freeing him of his pain and sending him into a peaceful slumber. Ned smiled and covered the lad with wolf skins before returning to his own bedroll. He knew they would probably be safe from another assault this night, but he also knew the Owl’s were headed north, toward Flynn’s homeland.

The next morning, following a warm brew and a few biscuits the two new found companions headed north. A long hike lay ahead of them but Ned was confident they would make the outskirts of Flynn’s village before sunset. Walking along in the fresh morning air with the sound of woodland birds merrily chirping their daily chorus, it seemed impossible to believe that such dreaded creatures as the Black Owl’s lurked on the fringes of this charming forest.

‘What are they?’ asked Flynn out of the blue.

‘Who?’ replied Ned, though he had already guessed.

‘The Owls? If they’re not born of nature like you said last night, what are they?’ inquired a puzzled Flynn.

‘They’re like spirits,’ answered Ned, before he was quickly interrupted.

‘What ghosts?’ Flynn was now even more intrigued.

‘Kinda. Quite what they are I’m uncertain, but I do know that if ya have five of em together they can join and change shape. Become like a man. Albeit a man of ethereal composition; almost wraith like.’ Ned spoke with conviction and it was obvious he had a great knowledge of many things. Noting the boy’s curiosity and keen to change the subject Ned asked,
‘Yer mother, has she any other children?’

‘No,’ answered Flynn, ‘just me, she had another boy but he died before I was born.’

‘That poor woman,’ said Ned with a notable sense of passion, ‘she seems not to have had much luck in her life. We’d best see you home safely and soon.’

‘She’s sure had a lot to deal with this last year,’ continued Flynn, ‘and now with the calling, the other women in the village will be fearful of things turning out the same.’

‘The calling?’ asked Ned, prying for information.

‘All the men have been called to the mountains. They’re going to fight. My friend Cameron said they’re off to fight the Ajya-na-ku, but I think that’s way too stupid.’ Flynn said whist bending to pick up a long stick he had spied.

‘Stupid eh! So why’s that?’ said Ned, ‘it was only last night you thought they probably didn’t exist.’

‘Well if they do,’ said Flynn who was immediately corrected by Ned.

‘They do!’
‘Well it’s said they are strong and magical. More than a match for our Mage’s. It would be daft to fight them if you can’t win.’ Answered Flynn, his distaste for war evident in his heart-felt words.

‘Sometimes ya have to fight for what ya believe in. Yer father fought so you and ya mother could be free, don’t take that away from him. No matter how difficult it may seem to ya he fought for a cause greater than any of us. One day you may have to do the same, to protect yer own wife and kids. It’s the way of the world me lad.’ Ned patted Flynn on the shoulder.

The day passed quickly with both man and boy exchanging stories and pleasantries. Then just prior to sunset they spotted Flynn’s village in the distance.
‘There ya go son, Tanner’s Turnstile, yer home.’ Said Ned.

Surprised Flynn turned and looked at the old man, ‘how did you know, have you been here before? I never told you my village’s name.’

‘I knew, that’s all that matters,’ answered Ned.

‘Ah! Magic,’ said Flynn, realisation suddenly dawning.

A yell from ahead prevented any further questioning and Flynn immediately recognised Cameron running down the hill.

‘Flynn, Flynn, it’s really you. Come quick there’s trouble in the village. Without thinking Flynn grabbed his long stick and ran toward the village. A short but tiring sprint brought both boys to the edge of the first buildings of Tanner’s Turnstile.

Women ran in all directions gathering the younger children and ushering them into the safety of the houses. Swooping from above hordes of Black Owls descended on the village. Talons tore through flesh and clawed at windows as the Ajya-na-ku spectres unleashed their wrath on this unprotected village.

With the men absent Flynn suddenly felt a calling, as though a greater force was urging him on. A sudden surge of energy flowed through his veins has he rushed through the streets toward the village green. Cameron cried after him to stop and find cover but his words where worthless.

Once on the green Flynn slid to a halt, Old Ned’s words fired his spirit,

‘He fought for a cause greater than any of us. One day you may have to do the same.’

Driving his stick into the earth he felt an instant rumble from beneath his feet. The power began to pulse like ripples along the length of the stick’s shaft. The Black Owls seemed drawn to this pulse and soon the whole flight was circling young Flynn’s position. Feeling a force of unknown origin overtaking his body the boy’s eyes began to roll. The pulse grew ever more regular and Flynn’s transformation to the embodiment of pure energy was over. A deafening crack signalled the release of a pulse of incredible magnitude. It reverberated skyward smashing into the flight of Owls. Feathers exploded all around as the dreaded birds were sent reeling amid this monumental force. As quickly has Flynn’s power had manifested it also now dispersed.

A gob-smacked Cameron rushed over to his friends position and said, ‘how in the blazes! You kept that quiet.’

Flynn looked a little overwhelmed but managed a reply, ‘then you’ll think twice about ambushing me in the future.’

‘Oh! Flynn, my Flynn you’re alive,’ called the relieved voice of his mother. ‘I was worried sick. Cameron told us about the river, I thought I’d lost you.’ She grabbed the boy and pulled him to her in a comforting embrace.

‘An old man fished me out, saved my life he did.’ Said Flynn. ‘He was right behind me when I entered the village.’

A gathering of women now surrounded the boy and one voice asked what the others were thinking. ‘How did he summon such magic. Have you been teaching him the old way Mia?’

Flynn’s mother looked a little shocked and said, ‘why no, not since I was a girl have I seen such magic.’

‘Well he’s certainly got he gift must take after your father.’ Said one of the older women.

‘Perhaps, but you forget he died when I was Flynn’s age so I never had a chance to complete the cycle.’ Replied Mia, Flynn’s mother.

‘More’s the pity, there’ll never be another like Old Ned,’ said the elderly woman, ‘a fine man and a great Wizard, god rest his soul.’

A cold chill ran along Flynn’s back and has he looked back across the village he saw a smiling old man disappear from view.

Back