• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

on how to aviod plagiarism when rewritting articles to use in a book?

prowriter9

hey whats up. I just have a very important question, that I'll be grateful if someone can answer!.

Can you be sued if you just rewrite paragraphs and sentences that sound similar to a self-development self-help articles from a book

if they were the first one to write about it?

Your best bet is to copy and paste the text into babel fish, translate from English to Japanese, then from Japanese to French and then back to English. No worries!

Oh, and you can thank me later.

Can you be sued if you just rewrite paragraphs and sentences that sound similar to a self-development self-help articles from a book if they were the first one to write about it?

Yes. Plagiarism is stealing ideas, not just exact words, so throwing in some synonyms and rearranging a sentence or two or three doesn't make it your own, original idea. You can take information from someone else (as long as it's properly cited), but you absolutely have to put it entirely in your own words. The best way to do this that I've found is to take notes on the source without using ANY complete sentences -- only write down the barest phrases, and try to put everything in your own words without writing down the source verbatim. Then, when you go to put it in sentence form later, use your notes as a source. You'll be less tempted to "borrow" sentence structure and phrases. Good luck!

It has also been said that one doesn't truly understand something until one can rephrase it clearly in one's own words. Just a thought.

And giving credit is always a good idea.

Okay. What if i do cite the source and lets suppose it is the bible because I would be talking about God. However, their is another book that actually sounds and matches more the sentences I will be using in my book. So will that still be called palagerism since they cannot really support their argument that I got it from their book (even though it does sound similar) as I will do cite that I recieved the information from bible but not the exact quotes on what it being said, but from my own interpretation of the bible verses?

Okay. What if i do cite the source and lets suppose it is the bible because I would be talking about God. However, their is another book that actually sounds and matches more the sentences I will be using in my book. So will that still be called palagerism since they cannot really support their argument that I got it from their book (even though it does sound similar) as I will do cite that I recieved the information from bible but not the exact quotes on what it being said, but from my own interpretation of the bible verses?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why will your sentences resemble someone else's book so closely if you're basing your arguments on the bible itself?

Writers don't turn off their writing skills, so the way you've been writing your posts here is a bad sign for your chances of getting published.

Also, if a book has already been published that has the same idea as your book, then publishers won't publish your book because it's already been done.

Save your effort, and you won't have to worry about plagiarism anyway.

It has also been said that one doesn't truly understand something until one can rephrase it clearly in one's own words. Just a thought.

And giving credit is always a good idea.
Absolutely.

To the OP: it's highly likely that your interpretation is going to be similar to someone else's, or even to a lot of someone elses', but not everything and not throughout.

I plagiarised wikipedia once. It was in an oral exam in Spanish, though, and completely unintentional, though I realised immediately afterwords. After the presentation, I admitted it and the examiner said it was okay. I think I directly stole half a sentence.

Love your suggestion, sparky.

okay i understand I will not try anything illegal. Just wanted to clarify what was premissible and what was not. So thank you for all your help!

Back