• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On the Psychology of "Gifted" Children

Irene Wilde

Foregoing for the moment the notion that all children are "gifted" in some manner or another, can anyone recommend a book for parents with gifted (read "brainiac") children that provides useful, applicable assistance for helping children cope with social interactions, especially, but also other practical advice for helping your clever little one explore their world without turning your house into a science lab/artist's studio/hardware store/something that needs to be condemned by the state?

I've tried to avoid the notion that my daughter is "different" and needs to be treated in any way other than the "average" (whatever that is) child. However, between the teasing on the playground and present state of the household, I think it's time to accept some counseling from the so-called experts.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Irene Wilde

It's been awhile since I read these and they may or may not have been revised or updated:

• Parents' Guide to Rasing a Gifted Child: Recognizing & Developing Your Child's Potential - by James Alvino
  • The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids: How to Understand, Live With and Stick Up For Your Gifted Child - by Sally Yahnke Walker
  • Does This Mean My Kid's a Genius? - by Linda Perigo Moore
I found these to be of varying degrees of helpfulness. The most help I got was from a very understanding elementary-school teacher.

ell

Ell said:
It's been awhile since I read these and they may or may not have been revised or updated:

• Parents' Guide to Rasing a Gifted Child: Recognizing & Developing Your Child's Potential - by James Alvino
  • The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids: How to Understand, Live With and Stick Up For Your Gifted Child - by Sally Yahnke Walker
  • Does This Mean My Kid's a Genius? - by Linda Perigo Moore
I found these to be of varying degrees of helpfulness. The most help I got was from a very understanding elementary-school teacher.

ell

Thanks so much. I was put off by the title "Survival Guide" because I don't think raising my child is some ordeal I need to "survive," but if it's written better than it's titled it's worth a try.

Unfortunately, each year I sit down with my daughter's teachers and hear the same thing...they've never had a child "quite like her" in their class before. A charming thing for them to say, but not very useful.

Irene Wilde

You might contact Mensa's website, Irene. I'll just bet that they've got a great list for "gifted" kids. I was one myself, even though they didn't call us that back in the 60s and 70s. I was fortunate that my mother refused to allow me to be accelerated in school. I would have graduated at barely 15, with no driver's license, no work, no friends to hang out with, etc. She just insisted that they find a way to keep me challenged but quietly, so that I didn't draw attention from the rest of the class. The teacher would make sure that I got a different assignment from the rest of the class, or had extra curricular stuff to keep me challenged. The school managed to do it, and none of my peers were any the wiser. ;)

Cathy
Penguins like to talk to smart kids!

Ms. C.,

Back in '71 in California we were called "Mentally Gifted Minors." What a joke that program was! :p

What I'm finding is her "giftedness" for lack of a better word involves more than schoolwork, more than whether she is challenged enough in class. It's hard to explain. She has a different way of seeing the world, different interests than her classmates, different sensitivities, and the older she gets the more pronounced these differences become. I think that's the help I'm looking for more than anything. Right now, she feels like something is desperately wrong with her because she's "different" from the other kids. Her self-esteem is tumbling by the week and she's withdrawing more and more into a world of her own creation rather than deal with the other kids.

Irene Wilde

Irene, have you checked out the National Association for Gifted Children based in the US.

It sounds like your daughter needs to find a peer group where she doesn't seem different and out of place. The NAGC might be able to get you in touch with a local group where you might find like-minded souls. Do all you can to get her in touch with people her age that she can relate to. Nowadays, with the internet, it might mean a cyberfriend - someone she can share her ideas and feelings with and not feel weird.

I think I understand what you are going through. One of my sons went through a period in early elementary where he was called 'vocabulary man', at which point he decided to stop speaking in class. He went from being naturally outgoing and gregarious to being very quiet and subdued at school. He pretended he didn't understand big words so he'd fit in better with his schoolmates. The only time he used his normal vocabulary was among family members and very close friends who had known him for a long time. He was also very different in his interests and the way he looked at things. The toughest years were during high school, but I won't bore you with the gory details.

Bottom line is that he made it through to adulthood okay and I'm sure your daughter will too with your love and support.

ell

Please PM me if you want to talk about this more in private.

feel like you seem to be in panic. or very worry about it. calm down, irene. :D

umm, 1st, how do you look at/view her? do u think as well that she is "different"? that would not help, IMO. how about you help her accept that there are many different kids. and every one is different in different ways. i mean, better not let her feel alienated.
how about help her to find some other kids that are "different" or gifted, and make friends with them?

how about give her some space, suggest her to write journals, as what you've said somewhere, or draw or dance her feeling out?

how about take her out to the nature, let the nature does its work?

anyway, i don't know much as well. but hope that could help a little bit.

regards,

watercrystal said:
feel like you seem to be in panic. or very worry about it. calm down, irene. :D

umm, 1st, how do you look at/view her? do u think as well that she is "different"? that would not help, IMO. how about you help her accept that there are many different kids. and every one is different in different ways. i mean, better not let her feel alienated.
how about help her to find some other kids that are "different" or gifted, and make friends with them?

how about give her some space, suggest her to write journals, as what you've said somewhere, or draw or dance her feeling out?

how about take her out to the nature, let the nature does its work?

anyway, i don't know much as well. but hope that could help a little bit.

regards,

I am worried. The school year has gotten off to a very rough start; there have been tears and hurt feelings and I truly wish I had some solutions for her.

She and I have a wonderful relationship and at home she's very content and happy. I marvel at her creativity and imagination and do what I can to give her outlets for them, even if it means the house is usually a disaster area. However, in order to resolve her issues at school, I have to be honest with myself about her behavior...her tendency to fixate on the subjects that interest her; her daydreaming...not that these are bad things, but they are things that other kids her age will single out and pick on. I don't want to discourage her creativity; I want to protect her sense of self-worth and help her defend herself from these criticisms.

She is only eight, and still hates writing, so she isn't ready to take a journal, but we talk and she play acts things out with her toys and such, but she keeps a lot inside that only comes out when she's really hurting, and we've had three such occasions already this school year.

From the time she's been in pre-school we've talked about how all children are different and not everyone is good at everything, but everyone is good at something. It's the children at school telling her she's "weird" and "different" that are creating the problem more than anything else.

I have a meeting with her teacher this week and she enters the "Gifted" program -- one day a week -- starting Friday, so she will be grouped with kids with similar abilities and perhaps some will be of similar temperament.

She a special little girl and I love her dearly. I want her to be able to grow into her gifts and take them where she might. This is just a rough patch of road we need to travel first.

Irene Wilde

Ouch. Just reading this pokes a lot of bruises from my childhood that should've healed a long time ago.

Irene, I'm sure you know already that you can't protect her from everything, but you seem to have a great relationship and that's important. The best thing is for her to make friends that have similar ideals. I still have a lot of those friends who made it possible for me to survive public, small town school.

Irene Wilde said:
I am worried. The school year has gotten off to a very rough start; there have been tears and hurt feelings and I truly wish I had some solutions for her.

She and I have a wonderful relationship and at home she's very content and happy. I marvel at her creativity and imagination and do what I can to give her outlets for them, even if it means the house is usually a disaster area. However, in order to resolve her issues at school, I have to be honest with myself about her behavior...her tendency to fixate on the subjects that interest her; her daydreaming...not that these are bad things, but they are things that other kids her age will single out and pick on. I don't want to discourage her creativity; I want to protect her sense of self-worth and help her defend herself from these criticisms.

From the time she's been in pre-school we've talked about how all children are different and not everyone is good at everything, but everyone is good at something.

Hi Irene,

My son went through something similar. When he first started school I encouraged him to express himself freely and pursue his interests, and he would sometimes wear paper hats to school or dress like a "detective" or bring an "inappropriate" book in or another project. He "sang" a whole book for the class once, like an operetta, at the prompting of the principal. Naturally, this eventually resulted in teasing and then bullying, when he was about 7-9.

If your child is being teased or bullied, the most constructive thing to do is validate the experience and teach her over time where it is coming from. After school take out a special notebook and ask her what happened that day, good and bad, and write bits down. Whenever there is something hurtful, discuss why it happened and whether there is a way to fix it. Commit to fixing the things you can fix. Discuss the options with her until you find one you agree on. (She might not want you to speak with the teacher, but might like a cooler lunchbox.) She will immediately respond to your support and even decide in time to take things on herself.

A couple of things I learned from this process:

--life is much easier for kids who conform at school, no matter what they do at home. An old lesson from Atticus Finch. Parents have the ability to counsel kids about this in a way that preserves their integrity, interests, and confidence.

--teasing and bullying comes from other kids' insecurities. It takes a long time to show this to a child, but you can. I often told my son that kids who tease and bully probably get bullied at home, so their lives are crappy and they are sad inside.

--being able to have a social give-and-take with people who aren't necessarily your friends is extremely important. This happens naturally at home in large families, but in small families the dynamics are different, so it has to be taught.

One thing I used to tell my son all the time is that the older he got, the more he would be spending time doing great things with people of similar interests. That time came around age 12. Now he's 14, and the kids he's with all day are involved in the same after-school activities like jazz band and theater, and are in advanced classes together. Things will definitely get better for your daughter, especially if she learns how to deal with antagonism.

You know, even the early-school teachers seemed to be constantly promoting conformity and dog-eat-dog playground tactics. They would say, "your son isn't fitting in." Well, of course he wasn't. We didn't practice Lord of the Flies behavior at home. It was so confusing for me at first. Why would they do that? Of course, to make their jobs easier. Let the dominant kids rule the classroom.

But then, all of a sudden, around age 11 or 12, his teachers did the opposite, encouraging individualism, verbal expression, special achievement, and he suddenly gained the respect of his classmates because he had those things. The part of my job that I hadn't foreseen was to teach him how to deal with the big, conformist, hostile world out there while holding onto his passions, a lesson never learned too early.

Ah! I should have asked the age to begin with! Eight is a particularly rough age to be really smart. Since she doesn't like to write (and neither did I, because I had -- and have -- atrocious handwriting), here are a few other things that helped me:

Mentoring -- see if the teacher of the first grade or kindergarden needs someone to help them with letters and numbers. This is something that makes a smart kid feel "useful". If not at school, then check the local library.

Language -- do other languages interest her? There are some extremely interesting Spanish, German or French interactive learning tools on the market right now.

Drama -- Since you're in California, are there any after school programs around you that do community theatre things? She probably won't be interested in acting at that age, but backstage things like lighting, sound or make-up might fascinate her.

Also, try to find out what she excels in -- what did her Iowa tests say was her "savant" skill? Mine was language and reading (11th grade comprehension at age 8). If her's is science, or math, or whatever, then play to that strength. You'll find that if you indulge her favorite thing, she'll be easier to manage about doing *other* things that she doesn't like so much.

Don't worry too much about her socialization skills. Yes, she needs to learn them, but first she needs to feel confident about herself.

Oh, and here's a link to California Association for the Gifted link:

CAG

I'll bet they've got a lot of other links and places to find information on helping her.

Good luck!

Cathy

Wow ladies! I'm gratified and touched by your responses.

We have tried several of the things suggested, but some are new and we will try them, too. We are having mixed success, but the successes help, and the fact that I'm listening to her, taking her concerns seriously, and working with her on solutions has also helped.

I'm not sure about "savant." We don't do the Iowa tests in California anymore, but in the Norm-Referenced Test they do for national comparison she was in the 95th percentile in Reading and Math. For the California Standards Tests, she was through the roof on English/Language Arts, Math, and Science. Apparently, this shocked the hell out of her teacher, but not me.

I've tried giving her the "your day will come" speeches, but when you are 8, any future more than two weeks down the road may as well be a life-time away. That's how I remember it when I was her age and dealing with the same issues (only I was a very, very tall, very plain, brainiac to boot).

I'll check out the websites and do some reading.

On behalf of my little one, thanks to everyone.

Irene Wilde

hi, irene,

it would appear to be redundant if i say something more, so i sent u a PM, hope it can be of any help.

oh, as for the books, i would suggest you read some on developmental psychology as well, since she is kinda young.

best regards,

Oh Sweetie, don't worry about your words. I'm from LA, nobody speaks English here! :) According to my UK chums, even I don't speak English. :)

I shut my PM-thingy off one day when I was feeling anti-social. But please post here or send me an e-mail to: ihrocks@aol.com

Irene Wilde

Back