• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On the Springboard…

-Carlos-

…and thinking (pre-splash moment)….

Am I now, as a very young writer (unpublished), researching the right subjects/books?

I mean I don’t want to go ahead blindly and stumble about. I need a clear and precise plan- I have to see the road ahead as best I can from my vantage point now. I have decided to begin my journey into the world of writing by understanding myth, firstly.

Mythology (Hamilton/Campbell books) is my current assignment. Stories are just newer stories atop (or influenced) by older ones, right? So I assert (initially) that Mythology is an essential (if not paramount) tool for the writer/novelist – especially in the beginning.

Besides myth, I am tackling other elements of writing/language such as Semiotics for example. But for now (for me) it’s Mythology. Is myth a logical first step for the early writer? Please explain your answer.

Thank you.

Mythology (Hamilton/Campbell books) is my current assignment. Stories are just newer stories atop (or influenced) by older ones, right? So I assert (initially) that Mythology is an essential (if not paramount) tool for the writer/novelist – especially in the beginning.

Hi,

I’d question your thesis is three ways:

Firstly, your initial assumption that stories are just newer stories atop older ones. What evidence is there for this? I suppose that if there is no elided ‘all’ in your assumption then it would be reasonable to say that some stories are newer stories atop older ones.

Secondly, even if your initial assumption is sound – if all stories are based upon some prototypes, why does examining the earlier stories have merit over studying later ones? Given that you are already going to have exposure to lots of stories, which by your argument are layered upon the same prototypes as older myths – what will you learn from the older texts?

And, finally – Isn’t this approach a self fulfilling prophesy. If you study mythology looking for frameworks, won’t your fiction be derivative?

Back