• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On Writing and Illustrating...

cstretten

Hi all,
I had a question I hope that some of you can help me with.
First, my Wife and I are writing a childrens book with the intention of doing the illustrations ourselves. To your knowledge, have any of you heard of success in working this way? I have read that publishers tend to provide illustrators for books submitted. I myself am an artist and it would seem to me that the best way to visualize our work is for me to do it.

Thanks!
Chris

It depends entirely on the publisher and your contract with them. If you wish to do your own illustrations with conventional publishers, some will and some won't (the rest, YECH!).

I've had so much flack from traditional publishers over the years that I've gone strictly to e-publishing (which can include e-books and POD). I even design my own covers for the books. The SF are easy, with a digital camera, and the murder mysteries aren't difficult. (You can do that only if you have other income and don't need advance payments)

If you want to do your own illustrations/photos/graphics, state that on the query letter, and the publisher will tell you "yes" or "no" -- after which you can tell the publisher "yes" or "no".

Back