• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Open Water - SPOILERS

Jenem

kickbox
i heard about this movie awhile ago, as it buzzed it's way through the Sundance Film Festival. has anyone else heard of it? or heard the story behind the movie? if not, check these out:
McFadyen's site
and this
Undercurrent story
anyway, i was looking forward to seeing the movie, but some people i know who saw it said it was terrible. well, i went to see it last night and i thought it was really very good. anyone else see it yet? i think there are two reasons i didn't hate it:
1) i was expecting a "B" movie
2)
i wasn't expecting the divers to be rescued

put those 2 things out of the way and it allows for the movie to be really enjoyed.

i thought the emotions portrayed by the two actors were realistic and well acted. i could see myself going through the same phases they went through during their ordeal. one thing i didn't understand was the hotel room scene where the wife suddenly doesn't "feel like it". i found that odd - but it wasn't a very important scene so it didn't make too much of an impact.

anyone else see this or hear about it?

Completely agree with you jenem....I thought some of the visual flashes to scenery and sounds went along precisely with the emotional stages of the main characters. I very much enjoyed the attempt at realism in this movie instead of just another blockbuster where the hero would have speared the shark in the eye with his tiny knife.

Good movie! :)

The word that people keep using to describe it is "depressing." So it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Ashlea said:
The word that people keep using to describe it is "depressing." So it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

I think it would only be depressing for people who
don't like unhappy endings. If you can enjoy a movie that doesn't have the tidy ending
then you may enjoy it.

True@1stLight said:
I very much enjoyed the attempt at realism in this movie instead of just another blockbuster where the hero would have speared the shark in the eye with his tiny knife. Good movie! :)

I totally agree :D

Back