• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Orbiter

Themistocles

Warren Ellis' latest production, and there is little better way to describe it than the blurb's own hyperbole; "both a psychological mystery and a sweeping science fiction story." Brilliant, though it feels perhaps a little rushed towards the end.

Anyone else read it?

I saw it, but didn't pick it up. I thought it was heavily slated towards the American space program, NASA and the sort, and somehow that turned me off.

I was looking for his Transmetropolitan series.

ds

And Watchmen comes before V for Vendetta. :)

Uhm, come to think of it, Watchmen pretty much comes before anything. :D If you've read Watchmen, what did you think?

Hey, Themistocles, you didn't say if Orbiter *is* centered around NASA, or am I completely off track?

ds

Well, naturally Watchmen comes before V; it's read and re-read several times, though, so fresh material is required!

Yes, Orbiter is based on a NASA shuttle, but the setting is essentially an irrelevance; it is more concerned with humanity in any form getting out into space because, as Ellis puts it, "It's where we're supposed to be." As a near-future plot, NASA was simply the most likely vehicle, considering Europe's own abortive, robotic-only space exploration program.

Well, it's looking increasingly less like NASA, now with the success of SpaceShipOne, plus SpaceShipTwo and Virgin Galactic in the horizon...

ds

direstraits said:
Well, it's looking increasingly less like NASA, now with the success of SpaceShipOne, plus SpaceShipTwo and Virgin Galactic in the horizon...

ds

SpaceShipOne may be a start, yes, not to forget the new Ansari-X-prize-but-more-stringent-and-US-only-for-bureaucratic-reasons, whose name I have forgotten, but with the Shuttle fleet to be spacebound once again this summer and NASA pledged to have developed the shuttle's successor, with the ability to carry a human crew as far as Mars and back again, if not actually land on the Red Planet, by 2007 (long before Virgin Galactic ever becomes anything more than a $200,000-a-shot swindle, one imagines), the organisation still leads humanity's efforts in space exploration.

Back