• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Organising my To Be Read pile

Jimmy_Fatspliff

My "to be read" pile is getting out of control!! I'm worried that books I bought a while ago will languish on my TBR shelf going unread and unloved!

How do YOU organise your TBR pile so everything gets a fair go?

I don't. I should but I don't.

I try to keep everything together by topic, putting unread and read together, but that doesn't end up working so well in practice.

I use an online rental service. I load up my queue with all of the books I want to read.

I get 2 books at a time. When I send them back, I get 2 more from my list in a day or two.

Pretty cool and keeps my TBR pile under control.

Matt: Sounds like you have hit on a great method. Way to go!

These days, I keep several books going at once.
I try to read the first pages, or a chapter, of each new book added to the stack. The ones that really hook me get read to the end; the other ones just naturally gravitate downward. Not that I'll never read them. They just remain in competition with the newer arriving books and rise or fall accordingly.
Just now:
1st place: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Utterly fabulous first chapter. I am totally hooked and will finish it.
2nd place: The Athenian Murders by José Carlos Somoza. I'm into the fourth chapter, but it is on hold. A little slow.
Recently finished: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. Event-driven fantasy moved right along.

Last edited:
Back