• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Orson Scott Card - Ender in Exile

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
I finally finished Ender in Exile yesterday. It is the newest (and last?) book in Orson Scott Card's Ender series. The story takes place between chapters 14 and 15 in Ender's Game and helps to fill in the gap between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

It is a year after Ender's victory in the Third Formic War and the question of what to do with Andrew Wiggin is on everyone's mind. If he returns to his home in the U.S. then other nations might see the U.S. as a threat. It is eventually decided that he will be sent off to govern the first colony. The voyage takes 40 years but due to relativistic considerations only two years pass for the ship's crew and during this time the events in the Ender's Shadow series play out in the background. It's hard to spoil the ending since readers of Ender's Game know what is going to happen so let's just say that Ender decides to travel in stasis from planet to planet until his legacy is forgotten.

If you have not read the Ender's Shadow series and are planning to, don't read this as it gives away quite a few plot points.

Overall I enjoyed it, while not up to par with Ender's Game it was definitely better than Xenocide and Children of the Mind. The style reminded more of the Ender's Shadow than the original series.

Interesting tidbit - on the back dustjacket there is a logo that says "Actual Ender's Game". I guess that is supposed to help people recognize this book as non-FanFic which I assumed having Orson Scott Card's name emblazoned upon the cover would have done. Oh well.

I'll give it :star3:. It's no Ender's Game but it's not Children of the Mind either.

Back