• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Orson Welles: Kafka's "The Trial" (1962)

Sitaram

kickbox
Today I purchased a DVD of this old B&W movie for $5.00. If I passed it up, I might never see it again. The price is not so much more than a two day rental.

This movie stars Anthony Perkins, Orson Welles and Jeanne Moreau.

The Gutenberg Project has a free translation available at:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/ktria11.txt

I plan to view the movie and read the on-line text. I hope to return to this thread with some comments.

Milan Kundera, in his essays entitled "The Art of the Novel", makes some fascinating observations about Kafka in contrast to Cervantes, with regard to modern man suffering the punishment first, for some unknown crime, and then going in search of something transgression as a source of guilt. I have Kundera's essays here, so I will try to post excerpts on this topic. I am a little hazy on Kundera's exact argument, so I must re-read it.

I am a bit pressed for time, but I wanted to post something about this quickly, since it seems so interesting.

It does sound very interesting, I will look forward to your thoughts on the two. I like Kafka & Welles but have not seen them together :)

Back