• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pablo Neruda

Don't go far off, not even for a day, because --
because -- I don't know how to say it: a day is long
and I will be waiting for you, as in an empty station
when the trains are parked off somewhere else, asleep.

Don't leave me, even for an hour, because
then the little drops of anguish will all run together,
the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift
into me, choking my lost heart.

Oh, may your silhouette never dissolve on the beach;
may your eyelids never flutter into the empty distance.
Don't leave me for a second, my dearest,

because in that moment you'll have gone so far
I'll wander mazily over all the earth, asking,
Will you come back? Will you leave me here, dying?

SillyWabbit said:
What Chilean authors would you say are better than Allende? My Spanish is really bad so ones published in English please :D

Well, as for politics, is just not my thing, so I won't talk about it anyway, it means I have to take a side in a fight that has gone on for one too many years here.

As for other authors, I would strongly recommend other poets, Vicente Huidobro and Nicanor Parra, although I don't know if their work is translated to english, Huidobro's at least. As for novelists, I would recommend Alberto Blest Gana, whose work is very much like Balzac from time to time, for it describes with detail the life during the 1830's in Chile. José Donoso is another interesting author, and some of his work has been "transformed" (there's no other word) into a movie: Coronación, his style is hard to describe but in spanish the term used for it is "pathetic novel" because of the subjects in his books.

Last but not least, my all time favorite chilean author is María Luisa Bombal, who writes a little like Virginia Woolf, with a lot of monologue and random structure, but awsome stories.

I apologize in advance, because I have absolutely no idea wheter their work has been translated, but I guess it's worth the try of looking for them. There are some others that come to mind, but that deal very much with chilean history and social issues, and I'm not sure if those topics would be interesting to other audiences.

Interesting

"There are some others that come to mind, but that deal very much with chilean history and social issues, and I'm not sure if those topics would be interesting to other audiences."

On the contrary I for one, would be very interested in books that deal with Chilean history and social issues. :)

Back