• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pagan's Crusade

Stalky

This book, by Catherine Jinks, is fantastic. It's historic fiction, set during the Crusades. Although it's written for the YA audience, I think it would be funny for people of all ages. Here's the ditty from the front flap:

"Down on his luck and kicked in the pants one too many times, Pagan Kidrouk arrives on the doorstep of the Templar Knights in medieval Jerusalem, looking for work as a squire. He's only expecting some protection from the seedier aspects of life on the street. Instead Pagan finds himself hard at work for Lord Roland de Bram - an exciting life of polishing armor, laundering white garments, and even training to fight.

But as the Infidel Saladin leads his army to Jerusalem, it becomes more and more difficult for Pagan and Lord Roland to discern whom to trust. Neither Saladin's army nor the Christian Crusaders offer easy answers, and a bloody battle for control of the Holy City looms large."

The book is narrated first-person by Pagan, who has a wicked and hilarious sense of humor. There are three sequals: Pagan in Exile, Pagan's Vows, and Pagan's Scribe (and Catherine Jinks is working on another, but I don't know the title yet). I made a website for them, if you're interested: http://www.geocities.com/flight_of_a_phoenix/ It's nothing impressive, since I'm sort of technologically inept, but oh well.

Back