• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Palm Pilot Adventures

Sitaram

kickbox
I hope this post will not be construed as an advertisement.

I am posting because I found a freeware program that will convert literally anything to a document readible on your PDA (Palm or other brand).

There are also freeware readers.

Here is my post (from myspace.com/literarydiscussions , my page on myspace)

============================

My old Palm M-120 started to have strange problems synchronizing with the various desktops that I use.

Today, I purchased a Palm Z22.

So far, it has worked like a charm.

The most amazing thing I found is this program to convert any document or browser page to a format compatible with a Palm reader.

http://www.jakewalk.de/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=MySoftware.PdaConverter

Pda Converter

The entire install took only 10 minutes, but it was complicated by the fact that, in the midst of it, I was asked to click on a link, and install some other program which this program invokes as a "filter" to remove advertising and other things from web pages prior to conversion. I said "yes" to everything during the install, and made some lucky guesses. The first think I did was convert a Word document of a short story. The converter invokes the Palm ADD software, to schedule the addition of the document during the next hotsync. On my first attempt, I converted to xTxt format, but my free shareware reader was unable to open that. Next, I converted to Aportis format, and my shareware reader read that just fine.

So now, I can convert almost anything I please, upload it to the palm pilot, and read it.

I found some great free religious texts at this site:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/religion/religion.shtml

I downloaded the Bhagavad-Gita, New Testament, 613 Mitzvoths, Qur'an, and Way of the Tao.

After I posted this blog, I became curious as to whether I could use the utility to convert this browser page to a document for my PDA. I tried to convert to Aportis format and nothing happened. Then, I tried Plucker format, and it converted the browser page. I could not read it with my shareware reader, but then I searched in google and found a free "Plucker" reader, which WAS able to successfully read this very web page on the Palm pilot.

Back