• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Parenting Books

CrossStitcher30

Who here has read parenting books? I'm in the middle of reading "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson and it's really good. What parenting books have you read that you recommend for others to read? :) These are the kinds of books I like reading. :)

Lord of the Flies
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cherry
Running With Scissors
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

kidding . . . . :p

Dobson's probably the best. His book, The Strong Willed Child is a classic. Its just been reprinted as The New Strong Willed Child but its a new updated edition. Lots of great insights there. We've got Bringing Up Boys too but we haven't read that one yet. Plan to soon though.

novella said:
Lord of the Flies
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cherry
Running With Scissors
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

kidding . . . . :p

I was gasping when I got to "Running with Scissors" and let out a sigh of relief when I got to "kidding" - Novella, I almost wondered about you for a sec there. ;)

The question is, with that book, who is the best parental role model: Mom, Dad, or Shrink? Or, the ever popular - NONE OF THE ABOVE. That book still gives me the shivers. (Sidebar, I recently read that they are making it into a movie... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439289/)

CrossStitcher30 said:
"123 Magic" and "The Strong Willed Child" sound like really good parenting books to read. I'll be purchasing and reading those soon. :)
the woman in my office also recommended those to me (for my sister, as my nephew is quite a handful). she said both were enormously helpful in managing her unruly child. funny, those are the exact 2 she recommended.

123 Magic has some very interesting concepts that some people will tell you is just a backwardass way of thinking, but I'm telling you that there are techniques for dealing with kids in that book that are fantastic.

The basic idea is that you need to look at children as very small, very intelligent, very sneaky little people. They figure out very early in life how to manipulate you, and they work it to the very ends of their ability if you let them. If they can work you up into a frenzy of screaming and yelling they have won that battle, and they will catalog that information for later use. The book is all about remaining calm, treating them with respect, being firm and concrete in your methodes, and being consistant.

If you read this book please come back and discuss. It's been probably 6 years since I read it, and I'd love to know what you think. Just the first few chapters changed how we dealt with my youngest, and made all our lives much more pleasant. I can still use it on my 12 year old when needed too. All I have to do is start counting and both my kids get the picture real fast.

Motokid said:
The basic idea is that you need to look at children as very small, very intelligent, very sneaky little people. They figure out very early in life how to manipulate you, and they work it to the very ends of their ability if you let them. If they can work you up into a frenzy of screaming and yelling they have won that battle, and they will catalog that information for later use. The book is all about remaining calm, treating them with respect, being firm and concrete in your methodes, and being consistant.

Motokid, thanks for that post- i'm going to buy the book for my sister and force her to read it. your descriptions above are him to a "T"

John Gray's "Children Are from Heaven." Gray sometimes makes grand, philosophical statements that ring false. Nonetheless, I found his _practical_ advice very thought-provoking. For example, he discussed various temperaments and how best to nurture and respond to each child based on their temperament--something I've since used with my own daughter (she has a "responsive" temperament). I also liked his chapter on "Asserting Leadership," in which he describes the strategies to use (and to avoid) when trying to gain a child's cooperation.

After having spent ten years in child care I've personally learned to dispise 123 Magic. But please remember, I'm speaking as a child care teacher, not a parent. The two are worlds apart.

If you have a "difficult" child, The Difficult Child by Stanley Tureki is a very good if unfortunately tittled book.

Best overall child care book I have EVER read was Dear Parent by Magda Gerber. I give it as a gift to every expecting couple I know as a gift.

"Because I said so" Rosemond

My father gave it to me when my daughter was quite young and to this day, I still have left the sticky noted on pages that really helped me.

I've never heard of 123 Magic.

"After having spent ten years in child care I've personally learned to dispise 123 Magic. But please remember, I'm speaking as a child care teacher, not a parent. The two are worlds apart."

Why would you "dispise" this book/concept? I fully understand that every child is different and may or may not require different techniques for handling situations, but 123 Magic has worked for many parents, including me.

I'm interested in know why a child care teacher would condem this book.

Back