• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Party Review>>>

oldboy

Not sure if this is appropriate for the board but ive just finished my latest Club review and thought I would post it up before i post it off for any feedback
if it's not suitable pls do just delete - itll have to go as is

>>>>>>>>>>

Detonate
@ Rock City, Nottingham.
13 October

Detonate laid their lines of TNT all the way to the doors of Rock City, then proceeded to blow the doors off the venue. The third super-size Detonate to ramraid Nottingham's traditionally most-rocking of venues surely ranked as the best trilogy. It even included a homage to the White Stripes to make any rockers wandering on the wrong night feel at home.

Having presented Notts with over five years of steady drum & bass selection, through their Rock City events Detonate are credibly establishing a new party policy combo. Not only are conventions being broken but the acts that appear in turn stretch their sonics more than most. Tonight Roni Size orchestrates a six-piece band; Rahzel handles his business all on his own in accapella style, Rodney P brings live support and even Zinc pitches them up accompanied by Jenna G, who floats through Total Science's 'Kiss Chase' and adds extra twist to Eksman's chatter.

Played into the dark, cavernous surrounds by host Transit Mafia filling the venue’s speakers with the lush DPK anthem ‘Your Mine’, I wandered down to link local boy Santero and warm my ears with some hiphop. Suitable Ludacrised and Roots Manuva’d it was a shame to leave Joe Buddha opening with Nas and dad’s ‘Bridging The Gap’ but Rahzel’s baritone was humming next door.

I've seen Rahzel before but never witnessed such sickness. Standing alone for an hour in front of 2000 plus armed with just a mic and minimal DJ support? The man has skills and absolute confidence in his ability. And rightly so. Kicking off the call’n’response, proclaiming anything his DJ Js1 could do, ‘I can do better…Yes I Can!', he launched into the unexpected but resounding '7 Nation Army'; most appropriate given the indie-fied environment. Swopping bass guitar for bass drus the karaoke impressionist breezed through a hiphop medley; 'Jesus Walks', 'React', 'Make 'em Clap', Run DMC's 'Here We Go', 'Dirt Off My Shoulder'. And the standard 'If Your Mother Only Knew'. Mixing up the odd bit of reggae and soul into the setlist; the crowd went mad.

Following March's Rock City set, Roni Size put in a repeat performance. The seven months hiatus have paid dividends with the similar set smashed out much more convincingly this time around. This was certainly the Return To V proper. And when you're returning with classics including, 'It's Jazzy', 'Share The Fall', 'Snapshot', 'Dirty Beats' and 'Brown Paper Bag' you're guaranteed a warm welcome.

The venue works so well for a multi-purpose event; the mainroom with its balcony and large stage is designed with spectacles in mind and the two smaller rooms effortlessly leak vibes.
RC is grubby enough to get the feel of a rave without the feeling it's trying too hard; it almost feels like you’re back in the Que Club a decade ago.

Work the next day meant I missed Goldie with Foxy, Dynamite & Eksman but Zinc’s standard tight mix rolled through 'Together VIP', 'True Romance' and TK’s ‘Freaky’ - an ideal conclusion. Shifting the party to a weekend is the one Detonate. Get the weekend crew down alongside the student and hardcore heads; they’re certainly missing out.

Back