• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pat Conroy: The Prince of Tides

Miranda

I just finished The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy, and I wanted to share this review that I posted on my Visual Bookshelf on Facebook:

I picked up The Prince of Tides on a whim, and I'm glad I did because it is one of the most wonderful books I have EVER read. The first time I had heard of Pat Conroy was when I bought a copy of Gone With The Wind that he had written an introduction to, and I was impressed with him just from that. The Prince of Tides didn't disappoint, either.

The main character, Tom, was the most grounded character in a story that is beautifully surreal and downright bizarre at times. He was the anchor that kept the whole tale from spinning out of control. At first I questioned Tom's likeability, but as he began to tell the story of Savannah, Luke and himself, as well as their parents, I began to sympathize with him and even relate to him (to a very limited extent).

The story of parental abuse, class discrimination, Savannah's mental illness, Luke's fight with the federal government and Tom's desperate attempt to save Savannah while re-examining his own life with Savannah's therapist made for a gripping narrative that I won't forget for a long time. I'll most definitely read this book again after enough time passes. I also look forward to reading more of Conroy's books in the future.

-----------------------
Did anyone else here read this book and enjoy it as much as I did?

Both have been so long ago that I can hardly comment in detail anymore, sorry to say. But I always enjoy movies, and the lion's entry was a memorable scene. I was waiting for it and then there it was! I think the tragic events of the story hit me harder in writing. The theme behind the title I found to be especially overpowering in the book.

Back