• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Patricia Cornwell

southpaw said:
the only cornwell book i've read is her work on jack the ripper, interesting and though pretty convincing, most of her evidence is circumstantial.
I have the book, but haven't read it yet, but I did see the television special on same. She had DNA evidence didn't she? Between the compelling circumstantial and DNA evidence, I thought she nailed it pretty accurately.

yes, she did have some dna samples, but she needed to get some samples from living relatives of Richard Walter Sickert, and none were interested in having their relative marked at jack the ripper. Also i think that some of the tests she did run were inconclusive. it's been awhie since i've read it. I saw that t.v. special as well.

denny said:
Her newer books read very much as if she has got tired of Kay Scarpetta herself; I think it's about time she killed off Kay and came up with a new leading character.

Guess what? In her new book At Risk, she does invent a new character. I'm waiting for my library to get it so I can read it!

I love all the Scarpetta novels, and am glad I wasn't the only one to notice the change in writing styles. *whew*:p

I'm going to read her other novels, the Andy Brazil series. They include Isle of Dogs, Southern Cross, and Hornet's Nest. I've heard they're really good.:D

I'm in love with Lucy. She is so AWESOME! I gave one of my artistic friends a description of her, and she drew it for me for Christmas. I was so happy. Looking for a frame to put it on my wall, it's an odd size. (yes I know she's gay, but I hope she turns that around someday.):)

Prairie_Girl said:
Postmortem
Body of Evidence
Cruel and Unusual
The Body Farm
From Potter's Field
Cause of Death
Hornet's Nest
Unnatural Exposure
Point of Origin
Southern Cross
Black Notice
The Last Precinct
Blow Fly
Trace
Predator

One of these, I think Hornet's Nest or Southern Cross is NOT a Scarpetta book, I just can't remember which one.

Both the bolded ones aren't in her Scarpetta series. They are a different series about Andy Brazil.

I was a huge fan of the Scarpetta books up to and including Black Notice. I agree with what some others have said, I thought the latter books were pretty dismal.

She needs to either retire Scarpetta PDQ or at least give her a decent man. Her & Benton (he needs a woman too) are just not happening.

I enjoy anything with a forensic slant (currently studying Forensics) and Cornwell's books are very good technically.

noted a new book of hers last time i was in Borders, At Risk... for the first time ever, i walked past it... anyone read it yet?

I only read part of All that remains but I didn't finish it. something about the story and the smell of the papers that made me stop. I'll try it again though

zen said:
noted a new book of hers last time i was in Borders, At Risk... for the first time ever, i walked past it... anyone read it yet?
I haven't yet, but I know that it isn't in the Scarpetta series. Totally new or Andy Brazil series, one of the two. I still think that she hasn't lost her touch, but really needs to revisit her old work to revive it.

Vespertilio91 said:
I haven't yet, but I know that it isn't in the Scarpetta series. Totally new or Andy Brazil series, one of the two. I still think that she hasn't lost her touch, but really needs to revisit her old work to revive it.

No At Risk isnt a scarpetta novel and she certainly hasnt lost her touch with this book...

Its well worth a read even tho it is only a short book...

Great! That'll move it up on my TBR. Now if the library actually carried new books, I might be able to get it.

Ruby, I think you misunderstood me. I said that At Risk is either a new series altogether or an Andy Brazil series. I knew it wasn't a Scarpetta novel (though I do want another to read). And I said she hasn't lost her touch, but needs to go back to her earlier works where her writing style was much better IMO.

Hi, all.

Patricia Cornwell's Andy Brazil novels....

I started my first Cornwell novel at the weekend - Hornet's Nest - and I'm glad to report that I 'm finding it a marvelous read [those fans who posted reviews of it on Amazon UK seemed mostly to hate, though.]

Anyway, it's more of a police procedural story - not much forensics, here - with lots of characters who are either down on their luck, or envious of other people's lives. Much of the story is set in the rougher areas of town [this being Charlotte, North Carolina], and the three main police characters all had to drag themselves up by their bootstraps to make their mark in society. [Makes a change from the characters in some detective novels who've had sheltered and cossted middle-class upbringings, yet are constantly whingeing about how life sucks and how unfair everything is. Sheesh.]

Oh, and I think it's extremely well written - often with cutting comments and insights delivered in just a few words.

I have the other two books in the series, Southern Cross and Isle of Dogs. I'm definitely looking forward to reading them. Hope I like the forensic books, too, once I'm done with these Andy Brazil stories :0)

Rob.

Back