• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paul Auster

Flowerdk4 said:
About your fetish. I find it somehow cute. I am picturing you walking in a store talking hours just to decide which pen to buy for like a couple of pounds.

Flower

Yep - that's pretty much me. Also, I have to sniff and stroke a notebook before buying it. And the other day I had quite a lengthy conversation with a shop assistant about manual typewriter ribbons...

I'm interested in Paul Auster and have "The New York Trilogy" and "The Book of Illusions" on my shelf. So, which one would you recommend to be read first to get into Auster?

CDA said:
Well, it's only my opinion that he writes about identity. I say this because of stuff like in NY Trilogy. There are some other examples, but I'm drawing a blank right now - I'll have to look through my books.

I've not really thought about what the titles of his books mean - but you've certainly got me thinking now!

Another recurring theme in his books: acts of futility - people carrying out prolonged tasks that seemingly have no purpose. Why do people do these things? It's not simply obsessional. Perhaps though, we all carry out tasks like this. I know I do.

I read the NY triology many many years ago. But I think you ARE right about this identity theme.

I checked out what Leviathan meant on wikipedia and it made a whole lot sense to me. I am guessing you cannot help me with the title of the two other books then?
I am not sure what tasks you are on about here? Please explain

Flower

CDA said:
Ha! Thanks for this! I read this earlier, and I've been thinking about it all day, wandering around town. I have now had to go and buy the book...looking forward to reading his intro....

Well, I am glad that you liked it! I thought it was just so cute and so strange at the same time. Its the first story in the book, and it does really make a very good start of the book.
His intro is also good. I dont know if you know, but Auster has a VERY good relationship with Denmark. Some of his books has been published here as the first country in the world, even before the usa. He has been her many times and given interviews. When I heard about his story project, I felt that it was very "scandinavian" of him to do. (his wife is norwegian). I am saying scandinavian cause it is something that people in Denmark for instance would do also. I mean to publish and to make something about the culture, about the soul and spirit, to share without thinking about dollars. Hope you know what I mean here? (Auster has said something in one of his book that he does not care for big money and that his social/political oppions is about something else).

CDA said:
Yep - that's pretty much me. Also, I have to sniff and stroke a notebook before buying it. And the other day I had quite a lengthy conversation with a shop assistant about manual typewriter ribbons...

I am sitting here smiling! :D
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I love to sniff old books! lol. And I simply love the fact that you use your senses when buying a notebook.
Are you by any change one of the guys who also takes up the clean dry clothe to your face and sniff it, when you have done the laundry? I have seen that some men do that, I dont know why. Never seen a woman do it.

Flower

Rigana said:
I'm interested in Paul Auster and have "The New York Trilogy" and "The Book of Illusions" on my shelf. So, which one would you recommend to be read first to get into Auster?

Hi Rigana,
I dont like to make recommendations to anyone as its hard for me to say as I dont know what sort of person you are and what kind of stories you like.

I started to read Auster myself many many years ago. And back then he had "only" written the small stories. NY Trilogy and other small stories. So I had no choice.
"The book of Illusions" is one of my favorite books by Auster.
I think what I would say is that the first couple of stories is more crime/mystery and less characters. Later the characters gets better as his writing gets better. Its like he explores more, the more books he writes. Well thats just my opion. Dont know if you know, he has made films too.

Flower

Rigana said:

Book of Illusions, without a doubt. let us know what you think.

Flowerdk4 said:
I read the NY triology many many years ago. But I think you ARE right about this identity theme.

I checked out what Leviathan meant on wikipedia and it made a whole lot sense to me. I am guessing you cannot help me with the title of the two other books then?
I am not sure what tasks you are on about here? Please explain

Flower

I'm actually still pondering the titles of some of his books. Things like this tend to fester in my brain for a while, before I come up with any kind of notions.

The tasks. Well, in The Music of Chance, the main character is building a wall type thing (I thnk). In Oracle Night, there's a character who's collecting old phone books. In The Country of Last Things there's another one but I can't recall right now what the task is. There are a few of these tasks in Auster's books. I think they jump out at me because ...(and here I'll send you an email later or something because it's kind of private :) )

Flowerdk4 said:
Well, I am glad that you liked it! I thought it was just so cute and so strange at the same time. Its the first story in the book, and it does really make a very good start of the book.
His intro is also good. I dont know if you know, but Auster has a VERY good relationship with Denmark. Some of his books has been published here as the first country in the world, even before the usa. He has been her many times and given interviews. When I heard about his story project, I felt that it was very "scandinavian" of him to do. (his wife is norwegian). I am saying scandinavian cause it is something that people in Denmark for instance would do also. I mean to publish and to make something about the culture, about the soul and spirit, to share without thinking about dollars. Hope you know what I mean here? (Auster has said something in one of his book that he does not care for big money and that his social/political oppions is about something else).

I had a vague notion of the Denmark relationship, but I didn't realise there was that much to it. Interesting.
I've read the intro to True Tales - yes, very good. Not read any more of it yet though. I have a few library books to get through before I have to return them.
Been meaning to ask - have you seen those two films? I think they are called Smoke and Blue in the Face.

CDA said:
Book of Illusions, without a doubt. let us know what you think.
Flowerdk4 said:
"The book of Illusions" is one of my favorite books by Auster.

Thanks a lot for your advice. :) I'll sure check it out as soon as I'm done with my library books.

CDA said:
I had a vague notion of the Denmark relationship, but I didn't realise there was that much to it. Interesting.
I've read the intro to True Tales - yes, very good. Not read any more of it yet though. I have a few library books to get through before I have to return them.
Been meaning to ask - have you seen those two films? I think they are called Smoke and Blue in the Face.

I find it interesting that you had a notion of his relationship with Denmark.

Yep! I have both "Smoke" and "Blue in the face" on video. Have seen them several times. They are very funny. He has made another one which I havent seen though.

Flowerdk4 said:
I find it interesting that you had a notion of his relationship with Denmark.

Yep! I have both "Smoke" and "Blue in the face" on video. Have seen them several times. They are very funny. He has made another one which I havent seen though.

The reason I had an idea about the Denmark thing is because I read something somewhere about it. As for the UK, I think the only time I've ever met someone who knows/has read any of Auster's books has been in book shops, and even then it seems a surprise to the assistants that I'm buying one of them.

I almost bought Smoke on dvd a while back, but the cover really put me off. Is it really some kind of 'wacky' comedy?

CDA said:
The reason I had an idea about the Denmark thing is because I read something somewhere about it. As for the UK, I think the only time I've ever met someone who knows/has read any of Auster's books has been in book shops, and even then it seems a surprise to the assistants that I'm buying one of them.

I almost bought Smoke on dvd a while back, but the cover really put me off. Is it really some kind of 'wacky' comedy?

Over here he is very well known. I dont think you could walk into a bookshop where they dont have at least one Auster book for sale. Maybe its something in his books which seem to appeal very much to Danes, I dont know.

I just got an email from his Danish publisher that his daughter has made a CD and you can buy it now. It should be some kind of jazz music. By the way have you ever read anything of his wife, Siri Hustvedt? I want to read one of her books, its on my to be read list.

About the two films. One of them, cant remember which, has William Hurt as the main character and the film is from one of his books. The other film is filmed the same place with many of the same actors, like Harvey Keitel etc. And they are a kind of a serie, but you can easily see them one by one, doesnt matter. Anyway, one of the films, is all about this shop Harvey is manager of. And people stop by. You have Roseanne, Madonna, Michael J.Fox stopping by and each stop is like a little story in the movie. Its so funny. Its like ...allright, lets see who is next to enter the stage...if you can believe it, Madonna is a one of those girls coming by singing happy birthday to you in a custum (dont know what you call them, birthday telegrams?). The humour is not slapstick humor, but small stories which has their own kind of Auster like fun and weirdness in them. Dont expect a film like one you have seen before, there is a story but that story sort of falls in the background of all these small crazy things happening, so it all gets to be a bit of mixture. Sounds confussing but its not. Its really like Austers books, chance happens all the time while the story continues.

I shall look forward to your email, by the way.

Flower

I sent you an email - did you get it, or have I messed up?

Hmm - I might have to give these dvds a go. They're a bit expensive though, in my local shop, for some reason. Amazon might be an option.

Have I read anything by Siri Husdtdsdtvteltdtd? Yes, I read What I loved. It was ok, a bit average really. Kind of like almost-but-not-quite-literary chic lit. Towards the end I went into skip-mode because I didn't really care about any of the characters.

Don't get me wrong, by the way: Auster's all over the place in bookshops here. It's just that, well, let's put it this way: if a shop has a promotion, they won't be putting up Auster's books - it'll be Irving or someone.

Yes I did get your mail, thank you! ;)

Maybe you could go in a video shop and rent them? sometimes over here they also sell videos/dvds and you can get lucky and get old films very cheap.

Recently I went into my local very small bookshop and she had put Auster´s latest book on display. Just to get on my nerves, I reckon! :rolleyes: No maybe Auster is just a bigger author over here than in England, I dont know.

I have to see what I think of Siri´s writing. It must be hard to be married to such a successfull writer and then start writing yourself. You cant help comparing somehow.

Did you get pass the chicken story yet? :D

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:

Maybe you could go in a video shop and rent them? sometimes over here they also sell videos/dvds and you can get lucky and get old films very cheap.

Recently I went into my local very small bookshop and she had put Auster´s latest book on display. Just to get on my nerves, I reckon! :rolleyes: No maybe Auster is just a bigger author over here than in England, I dont know.

I have to see what I think of Siri´s writing. It must be hard to be married to such a successfull writer and then start writing yourself. You cant help comparing somehow.

Flower

Glad you got the email. I'll be getting back to you for sure. No - not past that story yet! Think I'm going to enjoy this book - so I need to delay reading it!

Ok - way too tired right now. Talk soon! (I'll email you as well as post)
C.

Flowerdk4 said:

Flower

Now, what was I going to say...oh yes. No - here all video/dvd rental places are complete rubbish. They only have blockbuster-type films, and I hate them. I guess that's why the main rental outlet is called Blockbusters.

However, I'm going to see if I can get these dvds through my library - I had this little brainwave last night.

CDA said:
Now, what was I going to say...oh yes. No - here all video/dvd rental places are complete rubbish. They only have blockbuster-type films, and I hate them. I guess that's why the main rental outlet is called Blockbusters.

However, I'm going to see if I can get these dvds through my library - I had this little brainwave last night.

Yes try out the library! brainwave??

Auster in UK

Hi again CDA (from new member intro!! :) )
I am in Scotland and I know and love Paul Auster! (Of course, I am not currently in a book shop but can often be found there!) I have only read a few till now: The New York Trilogy was my first, leading to The Book of Illusions and then Timbuktu. As you say, few people here in UK seem to read him and this may account for the fact that he is rarely to be found in libraries and/or second hand bookshops! Maybe we should start a campaign to make him more popular???? People don't know what they are missing!
CDA said:

Back