• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paul Theroux: Dark Star Safari

nomadic myth

I'm reading this now, and it's the first time I read anything by Paul Theroux. It's a bit long, but I'm having a good time with it. I guess I enjoy his writing style and narrative because I look forward to picking it up each time.

I like his jabs at just about everyone he meets; they are quite funny at times. I find his unrelenting criticism of aid-workers to be convincing if only because of its persistence. He classifies most of them as self-righteous bastards driving around in white Land Rovers.

I'm not quite convinced he doesn't take home a lot of prostitutes. He mentions very often that although he sees them he doesn't take them back to his hotel. I mean, would it be good to include those details anyway?

Anyway, I'll never travel across Africa the way he did, so it makes for good armchair tourism. I don't really feel like going to anywhere else in Africa after all his cynical remarks of other tourists, but hey, we're not all Paul Theroux :rolleyes: , even though we do want to see Africa.

Back