• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pete

third man girl

This is the first ‘complete’ story I have written. I’ll give you the intro, and then an excerpt from later on in the story.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who could take the time to read this, readers and writers alike. I’m not too confident about writing action stuff (eg the car race) and I wonder if it sounds authentic?

Warning: I have rated it ‘18’, because there is sex in it. No violence. Some swearing.

For non-Brits:
Rangers – a big Scottish football team. big big. Analogy: Mapleleafs hockey team to Canada ;)
Durex – brand of condom.
Vehicles – your offside is our nearside (obviously :eek:)
Capri – a type of Ford motor car.
Bedford – a type of van.

The narrator is Pete (the ‘guardian’ in my Crimson Tears poem, and the guy with the toddler in Another Man’s Child). He is sixteen in the story, not naïve, but a ‘late starter’ compared with his mates, if you get my drift . . .

‘The Penetrator’ is a souped-up van belonging to his brother. It has a three-seater bench at the front. The back is load-holding space, but has been converted for comfort: mattresses, cushions, etc. Pete can drive, but is underage, legally. The scene is set in the late eighties.

INTRO

There was nothing remarkable about my family: I had a father, a mother, a sister, a brother. My brother Stephen, taller and broader than I would ever become, and as blond and blue-eyed as the rest of the family, earned the nickname ‘Norse’ at school. The name suited and stuck. Norse was to blame for my first fag, my first drink and my first fight; even, debatably, my first ****. He claimed that I needed encouragement. But it was our younger sister who was christened the war-child, not because of any specific war raging at the time of her birth, but because she agitated conflict wherever she went. Abbie rarely became entangled in the trouble she created; however, she was the catalyst who sparked off my parents’ quarrels and frequent punch-ups between Norse and myself. She was often to blame for spiteful weeping outbursts amongst her own girlfriends. Abbie was a calculating tease, and my brother and I spent many a moonlit hour guarding her virtue.
Norse treated me as an irritation until I turned sixteen. Two years older, he had deflected the parental flak for years, cleaving a path for Abbie and me between our mother’s tantrums and our father’s exasperation. He was never a delinquent, his only crime being an attempt to grow up. Along the way, he had puffed a mountain of dope from our bedroom window, spewed drunken trails of chicken chow mein through the streets of our town, and impregnated his best friend’s girlfriend. Norse had always been my hero. On my sixteenth birthday, he became my mentor.
His gift to me, presented, ironically, while my birthday candles snuffed their last, was a packet of Kensitas Club. My father clasped a hand to his palpitations, while my mother, tight-lipped, turned the cutting of the cake into a slasher movie. It was my fourteen-year-old sister, already a five-a-day girl, who noticed the pack wasn’t sealed. I opened it to find a Durex tucked inside, ribbed – my brother later explained – to give the lucky girl a half-chance of satisfaction. Norse remained with my parents at the kitchen table, arguing the merits of birth control versus his own six-month-old foetus; meanwhile, my sister and I escaped to the bedroom, laden with slabs of marzipan topped with Rangers-blue icing. Abbie pursed her lips round the first fag of the evening, snapped open her lighter and sucked at the flame like an athlete drawing air. She taught me to inhale between gobs of sponge and jam, and I puked on the carpet four fags later. I haven’t touched a cigarette since.

Pete (part 2)

EXCERPT [Car park. Late evening.]

Norse and I marched to The Penetrator. We didn’t speak because it would have served no purpose. Air horns brayed, proclaiming a road race, and engines fired up on all sides. The car park throbbed and roared and grumbled with vibration. Norse pointed to me, and then pointed to the driver’s side of the van. His keys flew through the air and kissed my palm. I climbed in and shut the door with a muffled bang, and Norse did the same. Trish sat between us, her hands clamped to her ears. She faked dislike of the noise, but she didn’t fool us. Her grin widened, her pupils deepened, and her bottom squirmed on the bench-seat. The thrill of the chase aroused her as much as it aroused the boys.
I turned the key, with my head tilted in anticipation. I detected the van’s distinctive rumble, and the ball of my foot stroked the accelerator. The engine warmed and I revved harder and switched on the dipped beams. A Ford leapt forward, once, twice, and stopped with a jolt. The cars behind all but rammed it, and I shouted that the lead car had stalled.
“Naw!” roared Norse, and pointed. “Police!”
An orange-striped bonnet poked from a side-street, and perspiration beaded on my brow. I hadn’t yet engaged gear, but guilt and anxiety curdled in my stomach. The lead car squirted off rapidly and took the longer road to the left, driving tantalisingly in front of the police-car. As cars two and three followed, I asked Norse why the lead man was playing silly buggers.
“Oh, calm down. The cars are legal.”
“I’m not fucking legal.” My voice squeaked. Trish wiped my brow with her fingers. Her fingertips felt cool. Wonderfully cool.
“Just drive, Pete,” she said, and anxiety turned to bravado. The car beside me squealed off, fifth in line. My turn. I released the clutch-pedal slowly, over-revved the engine and prayed I wouldn’t stall. But the van moved off cleanly, and I filed into position in the queue. I drove past the police-car with sweat cooling on hot skin. Norse and Trish hooted with laughter; the policemen were tucking into burgers and hardly glanced our way.
I held my place in the line as we drove out of town. I checked my mirrors and guessed there must have been seven cars behind. Trish turned her body round, butt to the windscreen, and stared through the rear-door windows. She counted aloud, one to nine. Even through clear glass, I didn’t believe she could see that far, but it didn’t matter – my task lay in preventing the cars getting past. In my mirror I saw the roof of another van, an ancient Bedford, which would never take me; but a Capri, with its long nose sniffing at my tail, was already making moves. We came to a forty-miles-per-hour zone and the car in front took off like a guided missile. I stamped on the accelerator, the speedometer needle reluctantly climbed the width of itself, and the Capri shot past.
“****!” shouted Trish, and stung my leg with a smack.
“Drop a gear,” yelled my brother. He grabbed Trish and clamped a hand to her mouth. I changed down a gear and accelerated hard. Another car nipped at my bumper, and then flew past as the next grew bigger in my mirror. I worked hard to concentrate, but Trish distracted me; my brother’s hand covered her face, and she tossed her head, spitting muffled giggles as she tried to shake the hand loose. Norse laughed aloud and warned her not to ‘fucking swear’. They fooled around, tickling and groping. I drifted left as Trish squirmed on my brother’s lap, then panicked and veered right. The car in my mirror drew alongside, and I almost swept into him as I straddled the white lines. He dropped back, came at me again, and I deliberately steered hard right. He backed off, we hit the open road, and the roar of the engine urged me to change gear.
We climbed miles of coast road, twisting and turning in a wet, misty spray. I caught up with red lights but didn’t recognise the car as ours. I pulled out to overtake, aware of a dip in the road ahead, but prepared to chance it, regardless. The idiot driver began to race, and I looked in my mirror and saw headlights, dangerously close. I had a cliff on my right, an idiot on my left, lights behind, and now, as I climbed from the dip, I faced a blind bend. I tried to drop a gear, made an arse of it and shifted back up. Trish whooped, Norse laughed, and I wouldn’t have cared if we’d soared off the edge of the cliff. Die young! Die happy! But full-beam headlights switched my point of view. I swerved left, stunned by blinding yellow, and forced the idiot-driver towards the hedge. The approaching full-beams dipped and sped past, and the car in my mirror vanished. I eased off the pedal, but Trish cried, “He’s okay. Go! Go!”
I accelerated again, faster now as the road levelled out. A string of yellow lights bobbed in my mirror, and I moved, bullheadedly, into the middle of the road, blocking the tail-enders. Norse sat bolt upright. He peered forward, peered backwards, and yelled, “You can’t do this.” Yes, I can! The Penetrator didn’t have the power to prevent the cars passing, but it had the width. Whatever it takes . . . I hogged the centre of the road, cornering at seventy-five, eighty miles-per-hour. Trish screamed at me to go faster, and Norse cursed, “You can’t fucking do this.” Horns blared behind us – distinctly different air-horns. Trish gazed behind and warned that two cars were chasing us, side by side, door to door. Norse ordered me to move left; Trish ordered me to stay put. The van swallowed the white lines, then veered right as the car in my offside mirror tried to pass. I was running cliffside when the car in my near mirror swept by on the left.
“Bastard!” we yelled.
The road narrowed. Headlights approached. I moved left and slowed the van. My heart hammered at my ribs. I took the next corner too fast, adrenaline pumping, concentration vaporised. I braked further and ground to a halt in a lay-by. And I rolled the window down and sucked air as the remaining cars blew past.

Pete (part 3)

We sat for a while, catching our breath. Trish bubbled with delight and talked non-stop. I asked if she had taken something, but she shook her head in wide-eyed innocence and said no. Norse pulled her close, cuddled into her and kissed her, and she resisted at first, but gradually he began to wear her down. He told me to drive on. “Just find somewhere,” he muttered.
Trish and Norse played slap-and-tickle as I drove back towards town. Norse was coming on to her, but she evaded and teased, and then, with a flourish, unzipped her boots. She lay back against my brother and pushed her bare toes into my groin. Norse snatched her foot away, massaged it for a moment and returned it to my lap. His fingers tucked her heel deep down in my crotch and Trish stimulated me with the sole of her foot. The mood in the cab altered. Trish and Norse mellowed, and their movements became unhurried. The kisses and caresses softened and slowed. A bare instep continued pushing, nudging at me, and I rubbed the toes, pressing them one by one. I drove the van into a country park, found a lair under the trees and killed the engine. The cab blackened.
I flicked on the cabin lights, and Norse reached for the torch suspended in the corner of the van. The beam glowed weakly in the dark interior. Trish crawled over the seats to the mattresses, and Norse removed his shoes and followed. I sat and fidgeted with the steering wheel. As on my first night with the couple, I was unsure of what to do, where to look, but then a hand touched my shoulder and I glanced down to see Norse’s broad fingers gripping me. He spoke softly in my ear, using his treacle voice. “Come here. Come into the back with us.”
I bent to take my shoes off, fought with the laces, and sat up too quickly. I reeled, light-headed. I gave myself a moment, and climbed into the rear of the van. Norse gestured towards the darker side of the van and told me to sit and watch. Sit and watch? I became giddy again, aware that I was breathing with too-shallow breaths. I was aroused and self-conscious at the same time. My breathing shuddered, but I reasoned that I needn’t get red-faced; after all, I hid in the shelter of darkness; Norse and Trish commanded the light.
My brother lay with Trish and kissed her. He kissed her for, maybe, ten minutes and, even in the yellow light, I saw her lips become fuller, and the colour deepen. He whispered, “You okay, poppy?” She smiled and stroked his cheek. Norse turned to me. I knew the shade concealed my face. “Okay, Pete?” he asked, and I nodded, stupidly; then, quickly, said yes. And I watched as Norse began to undress her. He pulled her sweater over her head and, as she lay back, her hair fanned out on the mattress like long, gentle rays from a warm sun. The rays fascinated me, but my brother, with great tenderness, tucked them smooth again. He licked the hollow at the base of her throat, his moist tongue dabbing downward to her breasts, and beyond the ice-white brassière. She smiled as he tickled over her ribs, and clasped his head as he paused to poke at her navel. He unzipped her jeans and tugged. The jeans held fast. Slender fingers helped the broad ones. Together they slid the denim down her thighs, knees, over her ankles, leaving a lace triangle covering her. He pulled her upward to sit and face him, and her breasts fell, rounded, into the cups of her brassière. She reached behind to unclip and lift the bra free. Her breasts were pale in the torchlight, shadowed and lovely, and her nipples, silhouetted, pointed towards him. He touched one breast, rubbed, and placed his mouth over the nipple. He eased the girl down against the mattress and sucked her breasts until she moaned. I didn’t see him remove his own clothes, but I heard the rustling from where he’d moved deeper into the darkness of the van. I watched Trish as she lay motionless, eyes wide, waiting for him. Then my brother’s fingers came from the darkness and teased the white triangle down over her knees, over her toes. He edged her knees apart and I saw his face come into the light, his blond-haired chest, and his penis, huge and rigid and tight.
Norse lay his body on hers. With one fingertip, he traced the curves of her eyebrows, her cheekbones and lips. I had thought, up until that moment, they were doing this for me; or, at least, allowing me to watch to add to their own titillation. But, as Norse eased himself into her, without exhibition or fuss, I realised I was being allowed to watch something loving and natural. Neither put on a show for my benefit. In fact, as I sat in my dark corner, forcing deep breaths, they might have forgotten I was there.

And that’s all I’m telling you, because it starts to get naughty.

Third Man Girl

Aww, no fair! No fair!

You can't stop THERE!! :D

Seriously, this is tremendous, Writer. All of it. And the action parts did ring true. Again, your descriptions paint perfect pictures. I love it. Now, excuse me while I go back and read that last little bit one more time... ;)

third man girl said:
And that’s all I’m telling you, because it starts to get naughty.

Another tease huh? All be it a very talented one, a tease nonetheless. :D

RaVeN

Now Abbie, there's a character I'd love to hear more from. :D

Car chase was paced just right, very hectic, just what it needed to be. A great contrast to the next scene as well. Looked up the Ford Capri, quite a little car you guys got there.

I agree, quite unfair to leave us hanging. :p

My only possible quibble, and I haven't read enough to go on but it did occur to me as a possible problem, does this narrative voice sound different enough from Colin? He's obviously from a different background, but that's all in the details, not so much in his voice.

very nice portrayal of pete. the scene was totally different from colin's. it wasnt that much into detail as colin's though.
my favourite part:-
"He was never a delinquent, his only crime being an attempt to grow up. Along the way, he had puffed a mountain of dope from our bedroom window, spewed drunken trails of chicken chow mein through the streets of our town, and impregnated his best friend’s girlfriend. Norse had always been my hero. On my sixteenth birthday, he became my mentor."

Back