• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Peter Carey: Jack Maggs

Gary Murning

Have just started reading Peter Carey's Jack Maggs -- a reimagining of Dickens's Great Expectations. Only 25 pages or so in but I'm already impressed. Yes, the novel's paternity is clear for all to see, but this is not a Dickens pastiche; it is its own novel (so far!) and, not exactly a huge Dickens fan, I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest.

I have read both of Carey's Booker Prize winners (Oscar and Lucinda and The True History Of The Kelly Gang) and own Jack Maggs but have yet to read it. I look forward to hearing your final assessment of the book.

BTW, I enjoyed the other two books but don't regard them highly enough that I would recommend them. I reserve that honour for The Road, Life Of Pi and The Book Thief.

Yes, I've also read Oscar and Lucinda -- which I quite enjoyed but, like you, would not seriously recommend. I also read The Tax Inspector, which pretty much stopped me from returning to Carey until now!

I've had a few distractions this week so haven't read much more. About 100 pages in, though, and have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Extremely atmospheric and convincingly evocative without falling into the trap of being too "Dickensian".

The Book Thief is one I've been almost reading for a few months! I have a copy (my father is actually reading it at the moment) but all the hype has made me a little wary of starting it. Can it live up to everything I've heard about it, I wonder.

Back