• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Philosophy books

fear-n-loathing

I want to start reading about philosophy but don't have a clue about any of it. :confused:

Has anyone got some suggestions of books that would give a good background?

Thanks

I recommend "Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy" by Jostein Gaarder. It covers the basics of philosophy and the "basic philisophers" in a fictionous form. After having read this book you may want to look up the philosophers that interested you in this book.

Wolhay said:
I recommend "Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy" by Jostein Gaarder. It covers the basics of philosophy and the "basic philisophers" in a fictionous form. After having read this book you may want to look up the philosophers that interested you in this book.

On my "TBR" list, actually my to be re-read list. It's a good, welcoming place to start. I suggest that once you get into the heavy stuff you find someone to talk it out with, I know that none of the stuff I read in college made any sense until I had class lecture and discussion on it.

I would recommend Machiavelli's The Prince. I haven't read it yet, but it doesn't introduce very abstract concepts like Nietzsche's books, and I think is interesting.

I don't know of any over-view books that would get you started, but you might want to check out Ludwig Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations. It was very accessable, but does touch on some very complex concepts. You might also want to start at the beginning, so to speak, with Plato's Republic.

At your nearest bookstore there should be some "Basics" or "Intro" books into specific areas of philosophy. It is most important first I believe to try and figure out which area of philosophy that interests you the most. For example, while I enjoy studying bioethics and epistemology, the philosophy of language puts me to sleep. Getting an idea of the different areas, might help avoid a problem.

As far as some of the first works of philosophy to start with, it would probably be the most helpful to start with works that greatly play and a part in and influence other works. You will repeatedly see Platonic, Aristotilean, Cartesian, and Kantian ideas repeated throughout philosophy into current works. For this reason I would recommend as a basis of knowledge any of th below works;

The Republic - Plato
Niomachean Ethics - Aristotle
Descartes Meditations
Discourse on Metaphysics - Kant (on a side note, Kant is a horrible writer, and can be quite annoying even for someone who reads alot of philosophy)

If you would like to discuss possibilities or just your interests in the area I would be happy to help, just send a PM my way. Happy Hunting :)

Wolhay said:

This also seems like a plausible idea and good starting point.....

There's this book by Will Durant entitled The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the Great Philosophers of the Western World. I got it sometime ago when I realised that I knew nothing at all about philosophy and needed a place to start. It is easy to read and actually well written (i.e. its not dry, boring and text-bookish). You might want to give that a try too!

Wolhay said:

That's the BEST philosophy novel I've ever read so far! I'd strongly recommend it. I'm pretty sure that I will want to learn Norwegian in university in order to just be able to read the novel again (in its original language, of course!).

Wolhay said:

I agree! I'm currently reading it- I have a chapter or so left. It's educational while still being entertaining. As I've been reading it I've found myself stopping to THINK about what I just read.

Bertrand Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy', though a hefty tome (somewhere over 900 large pages), is an excellent starting point. Deceptively accessible, eloquently and wittily written and well-devised, it not only describes the theories of most of the western world's most significant philosophers and offers healthily sceptical criticism, but also makes evident the causal connections and patterns developing throughout history, as philosophers borrow, plagiarise, refute or develop the ideas of their predecessors.

I would also recommend The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee which I picked up the last time I went to the museum. It's illustrated and it's an easy but informative read.

Philosophy

Sophie's World is a great, but simplistic start that might not wholly salvage your initial interest in the subject of philosophy. I would reccomend also reading the deeper version of Western philosophy, if you choose to delve into Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy. Aside from these two broad and general books, it's great to read authors with individual views expressed in their texts. Machiavelli's Prince would give you an 'authoritarian' view of politics and morality, while Plato's Republic would give you an understanding of 'idealistic' philosophy in regards to society. Mill's On Liberty details on utilitarianism, which entails of the 'greatest benefit to the greatest number'. Anyhow, there are loads and loads more that are just as essential to these, in regards to their impact on historic and contemporary society. Authors such as:

Locke
Kant
More
Descartes
Rousseau

surely will offer you a wide view and understanding of philosophy, and it's constituent subjects.

ecks said:
I would recommend Machiavelli's The Prince. I haven't read it yet, but it doesn't introduce very abstract concepts like Nietzsche's books, and I think is interesting.

Im reading it at the moment, its like a manual on the do's and donts for ruling a country!

Back