• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pick my next few reads in order! :)

Hikari

Before I begin, I'm new here. So please don't punish me too harshly if this isn't the appropriate forum to put this in.

After browsing here and there I've collected a few books I'm interested in and am wondering whether anyone has read them, or have comments to say about. If you could, select the next book that you think -- out of all -- is the better. Suggestions are welcome. :)

A. Redwall Series - Brian Jacques
B. Through Wolf's Eyes - Jane Linderskold
C. Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
D. Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
E. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
F. Out - Natsuo Kirino
G. Wicked - Gregory Maguire

A: I heard that each book in the 'series' is stand alone, so please recommend your favoured out of all so I know what to start with.
B: Though I heard a few people dislike this one, I am a huge fan of wolves. Reading the summary for some reason faintly reminded me of Princess Mononoke, and although I'm sure the book is nothing like it I thought the basic idea was pretty neat.
C, D, E, F & G: These are few that I found on Barnes and Noble's recommended books, and because I have a large interest in asian culture I thought these seemed like a good idea. On Memoirs' case, I heard it was actually written by a TN non-asian male and to take it lightly (as I've heard claims of how the book does not reflect japanese culture correctly), and I understand this. Wicked was something a few friends pestered me to read so I added that on here for the heck of it.

And on a side note, does anyone recommend any good murder mysteries?. I know James Patterson and a few other authors are very good, but could you tell me the title of your favourite?.

I haven't read any of them, or many murder mysteries (or any, if I remember rightly) so can't advise you, but I just wanted to say that all too often, I have a list of a few titles like you have, and can never decide which order to read them in.

A good thread idea, methinks! :)

I will echo Hermione's post :)

In terms of murder mysteries, Janet Evanovich writes a REALLY GOOD mystery series about bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. Start with One for the Money. They're fun, with good characters and action, and just hilarious! The first book is a tad violent however, featuring a bad guy who really hurts some people, so if you're not ok with violence you may want to try something else (P.D. James comes to mind).

Oh, I loved Out! I'd definately recommend reading that one as soon as you can. Out of the others I've also read Norwegian Wood and Memoirs of a Geisha, and they are also good books. :)

Murder mysteries... Ian Rankin? Although thats more the detective side and usually less graphic than Patterson's books.

I hear a lot about the Redwall Series. I've never read anything in it just because I don't know where to start..

If I were to choose for myself I'd read Memoirs of a Geisha.

Ooooh, the only one I've read out of your list is Out, and I have to agree with tartan_skirt that it is an incredibly good read. So I urge you to read that first - you won't regret it. :D

My sister loved the Redwall series. Personally I would read any series in the order it was written but I'm anal like that. Also, with any series I'd buy the first book and read it before you buy a bunch in the series. That being said, I only got about 20 pages into Redwall and put it down. I just wasn't into the little critters for some reason, even though I love animals and I thought I'd really love the story. But my sister and BIL both read the whole series and love it, so it just goes to show that what one person loves, another won't. Good luck with your list and happy reading!

M.

I've only read The Redwall series, which is descent but there are a bunch of them and the story line tends to repeat itself a bunch, just read some of them I'd say. From what i remember The Long Patrol was good, as was Salamandastron.

Back