• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pick One...

novella said:
A freebie:

Lord Gatsby the Fly-Catcher Mouse: Book Burning on the Farm

Old Lord Gatsby sat on the veranda in a white linen suit, sipping rye in the quiet of the evening. He was warm and sluggish, but content. He took a small sip of whiskey and then sat very still, until the moment when he snapped his long tongue out at a passing bluebottle fly, snatching the fat black body from the air as it buzzed past his head.

Beyond the shade of the catalpas, out on the bright distant stretch of lawn that unfolded to the gurgling edge of Hedgehog Creek, his servants were building a bonfire, in which they planned to burn an old chiffarobe, a vanity, and a teetering pile of baudy mid-twentieth century novels that had recently piqued the interest of the town Decency Monitor, an officious but extremely well-bred woman named Margot Turbot who smelled faintly of vinegar and invariably wore the same delicate shoes of brown eelskin that her mother had worn before her.

Homeland Security was of paramount importance, as Lord Gatsby knew, so Miss Margot had charged him with rounding up the offending novels from local school children. It was a privileged task he was glad to undertake, and he set about searching children's rooms, overturning their pillows, poking into their small deerskin mocassins and dressinggown pocketses. The books, mostly well-thumbed paperbacks, were now collected, and sat at the edge of the widening circle of flame. Gatsby had decided to turn all the Salingers and Orwells and other detritus into useful ashes to scatter as a light mulch on his overwintering yellow roses. The roses were precious to him, each as dearly loved as the next, though their faded petals had long since fallen to the ground.

Snap. A juicy bluebottle. A sip of rye. The life of a rich and chubby 21st century mouse is a good one, he thought to himself, letting his eyelids droop in the humid heat, the orange-golden sun skidding the brim of his white Panama hat.
was there ever such a glorious expression of man's soul? that novella, a tempestuous siren who called to me, would charm me with her supple words. but, lo, I did not possess the brilliance to tame her! for she was both my mentor ... and my tormenter. her story revealed a world of unimaginable beauty and inspiration. was this god and the angels conversing? or was it god and the devil? alas, I would never be what she was, for I was haunted all my life by mediocrity.

bobbyburns said:
was there ever such a glorious expression of man's soul? that novella, a tempestuous siren who called to me, would charm me with her supple words. but, lo, I did not possess the brilliance to tame her! for she was both my mentor ... and my tormenter. her story revealed a world of unimaginable beauty and inspiration. was this god and the angels conversing? or was it god and the devil? alas, I would never be what she was, for I was haunted all my life by mediocrity.

That boy deserves an ice cream soda!

(ck is in mail, bb)

Novella, you continually astound me. That was excellent!

AquaBlue - I love all the books in your list (except the Great Gatsby - I didn't enjoy that one very much.) Most of those were a favorite of mine at one time. Right now, from your list, it's a toss up for me between Catcher In the Rye and Fahrenheit 451. But I think I'll go with Fahrenheit 451.

Just re-read F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece, absolutely no words wasted here:

...garnished with glistening hors-d'oeuvre, spiced baked hams crowded against salads of harlequin designs and pastry pigs and turkeys bewitched to a dark gold

Character descriptions are superb as well:

completely motionless, and with her chin raised a little, as if she were balancing something on it...

Miss Baker's lips fluttered, she nodded at me almost imperceptibly, and then quickly tipped her head back again -- the object she was balancing had obviously tottered a little and given her something of a fright...

The real tragedy of Gatsby for me, is not that he is destroyed pursuing the American Dream, rather it's that he pursues an empty dream.

That's one of my soon-to-read books. I loved 1984 by him. I was pretty surprised at how easy it was to read. For some reason I thought it would be pretty difficult and long-winded. Not, in the slightest.

Back