• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

pictures

I think it depends on how old the kid is and what kind of illustrations we're talking about. My nephew is three and although he loves to look at picture books I don't think the "beauty" of the illustrations really matters that much to him yet. More important seems to be that the illustrations are colorful, show activity and are good depictions of the words being read. He appreciates cartoony pictures just as much as beautifully done watercolor and pastel illustrations.

I think beautiful illustrations are really more for slightly older kids and adults who read to their children. I know I've always loved reading kids books and the illustrations are a big part of the reason. I've got a good library of them and I'll read to anyone who'll listen whether it be visiting children or the dog.

I would not personally agree with that last statement. I have memories of looking at pictures books and wondering how they drew the pictures. I must have been only 5 or 6 at the time. I used to stare for long lengths of time at illustrations in books, not because they were there to look at, but because I found them beautiful.
I'm not sure whether this is because from a very young age, I may have had an artist's instinct (I am now studying Fine Art at college), but I can distinctly remember looking at them and wishing I could also draw like that, which at the time, I couldn't.

So I think it depends entirely on the child's interest. Perhaps asking them what they think of them (as long as they can string together coherent sentences, that is) will give some insight into your child's personal interests. Perhaps you also have a budding artist in the making.

I agree with you, Fleuretta. When I was young I used to love to look at the illustrations the way you did. There are two books that I don't remember who they are by, what their titles are, or even what the stories were about, but I remember the illustrations and that they were beautiful. I wish I could remember more about them. I'd love to look at those illustrations as an adult and see how my memories compare to reality.

In my childhood days,I also used to look for the books full of illustrations it used to make me happy indeed.:)

I actually don't remember a single book from my childhood from the pictures. I only remember the storylines. The same with my daughter's books (she's now 25, as am I coincidentally). I remember the story, not the pictures.

I actually don't remember a single book from my childhood from the pictures. I only remember the storylines. The same with my daughter's books (she's now 25, as am I coincidentally). I remember the story, not the pictures.

Sorry? You're the same age as your daughter!?

Back