• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

picturing yourself in the book

I did that when I read Lord of the Rings for the first time. I've done it for other books, but that's the instance where I remember most vividly my dream of being in the story as I read it.

I don't generally picture myself in the book. The characters and situations usually seem too remote for that.

I do somehow tend to feel that I am actually in the presence of the author and I am listening carefully to a story he or she is telling me.

It is the author whom I have extreme difficulty imagining is not in the book.

But sometimes a book or character, or only a paragraph, will speak exactly and directly to my life experiences or beliefs and make me pause for a while in thought. That's a spooky experience when it happens.

I picture myself as the characters. It is quite an odd perspective, I suppose; I imagine the characters through their aspect: their sights, feelings, and thoughts are all in first-person as the character speaks or acts. If it is dialogue between more than one character, after one character speaks and it switches to another, I shift my perspective to that other individual.
This works the best for me, but it may becloud the judgment of other readers. I enjoy this sort of mindset because it allows me to easily interpret the story that is revolving around each and every character. Should the story come to a standstill and be describing a location or object, I just imagine the object or scenery sprawled before me.

If the book is a really well written, I'm an entity looking over the character's shoulder. Some times muttering to myself about the actions just taken.
There have been occasions when I was so involved in the story, it was disorienting when returning to reality.

Nope, I usually just put my favorite actors who are the closest to matching the characters personality, and looks.

If I've made the mistake of seeing a film of the book first, that is unavoidable for me. I can't seem to shake the actor's out of the book at that point.

But, for the most part, I don't even have a very clear facial picture of a character. Only a vague aura, if you will, of the ambiance of said character. Most authors, it seems to me, don't sketch out an exact picture of their characters. They create with only a few touches, and I go with that. Height, general build, hair [or lack of it] style. Definite facial features are immaterial, for me at least.

While reading a good book, I am completely immersed in author's world, and when my entire existence has been reduced to a visualizer, how can I ever imagine myself as some character. Though, I often feel a part of the story as a spectator and can see the drama unfold.

But,the above is true only for well written books, a case in instance is Stephen King's Under the Dome. In most of the cases, though I am uninvolved and just interested in listening to the storywriter without any bias.

Back