• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please add to the list

huxley

i want to make a list of questions to help me ,us, with description of a place,room,or area .

(like in a book,the first time the room,place,area,is described)

-what it smelled like?
-what it looked like?
-what it felt like?
-was it wet,dry,hot,cold?
-what kind of lighting,dark,light?
-was it clean or dirty?
-what seize was it,big,small?
-did it look expensive or cheap?

please add other questions .thanks

Did it make you think of something else? Did it remind you of something?

Just a note of caution, I wouldnt go into too much detail about a room , since Hemmingway sometimes does this and I find he gets tedious.:(

- Use a metaphor to describe the room that also links into the common theme of the book.
- Use Symbolisim to convey subtle meaning

In describing the lighting, something about the windows, size, or lack there of, the way sun or moonlight streams, etc. The way the curtains move (or don't).

I think there are better questions to ask. For example, which details would the character notice? (It is interesting if different characters notice different things.) Which details create suspense? (If you're writing a thriller, it's probably a good idea to mention the knife in the kitchen.) Which details interest the reader? (It's never a good idea to bore the reader.)

Good writers select details that do all of the above.

For example, when Dan Brown's hero describes the details of da Vinci's paintings, Brown is: revealing character, creating suspense and teaching the reader something interesting. And lots of people here still think Brown sucks. ;)

Back