• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please Help Me! Book about Kids with jewels/stones...

wright146

Okay, when I was in about 6th and 7th grade, I read a collection of books that would be considered maybe older children fantasy/adventure. I don't remember too much about them, but will try to type what I do remember. There were a few kids in the books. They all had different colored gems/jewels/stones (I don't remember what they were exactly). These stones did different things. I do remember the boy having a red one, the girl having a purple one and another kid having a yellow one. In the books, there was a witch and some other creatures. Beyond this, I don't remember much at all. Is there anyone that can help me with an author or title to one of the books or anything? Thank you so much! :confused: :)

drmjwdvm said:
Maybe; Over Sea Under Stone (The Dark is Rising Series) Susan Cooper

I thought about this one too at first, but I don't remember there being any gems - just six different rings.:confused:

No...that's not it. Thank you though...:) This series was much longer...sort of like the animorphs series, but not as long. It was more of a fantasy than action, but there was some action. I remember one book that they were in the witches castle, and they were creeping around in all of the rooms hoping that she wouldn't know they were there. There was even a moat type thing in her castle. They weren't on any trip...this all happened where they lived. I just wish I could remember... I don't think it was a huge series or anything--didn't get a lot of attention, and they're an older series...I just really liked it a lot.

What year did you read these?
Were they also printed as slim paperbacks like the Animorph series?
Is this series set in modern times?

Answer

I read these books probably around 6th or 7th grade so around 1998-2000. It's been a long time, but I believe it was more around 1998.

They were paper backs, and I don't ever remember them ever having hardback covers. They weren't huge books, but a little longer than animorph books, and I believe they had small print. The series wasn't as long as animorphs--that I know.

I believe that it was set in modern times. It was just this town they lived in. It had a castle with a witch and the castle I remember being very creepy with different types of creatures. All of the kids had different colored stones...I think that the stones did different things for them.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot to go by, but I've been looking... Thank you!

I can't come up with a title off the top of my head, but I'm going to do something looking around. If these aren't a series that we have, it sounds like something that we'd like (and therefore ought to have). We have quite a few current and older children's book. (In our house quite a few= a few thousand. Literally.)

If you have more clues, it would help...

You said you read it in 6th or 7th grade. Do you remember if it was the larger format paperback for children (larger pages, but less pages), like Animorphs or Goosebumps, or if it was the smaller format, for young adult novels, like adult paperbacks are? (Might seem nonsense that I ask, but it actually might help finding them.)

Do you remember where you got/borrowed them from? Did your classroom teachers have them, or the school library, or do you remember seeing them in book club flyers from school? (Might indicate a Scholastic series...)

If the colored stones they had weren't rings, what kind of jewelry did they have them in or how did they wear/use them? And were the kids named for the stones, like Jet, Sapphire, etc? (And no, I can't think of that series at the moment, but don't think it's right, as I'm pretty sure it isn't "modern" but alternate world... and those were forehead stones.)

How old were the kids, and were they from the same family or different families? If you can't remember an age range, do you think they were younger, older, or able the same age as you were at the time. (We often have an idea of that, even if we don't realize it.) Were the books fairly innocent, such as what is written for grade-schoolers, or were they geared more toward teens?

Oh, and do you remember if they were new at the time, if new books in the series were coming out at the time, or if they happened to be a "fad" at the time?

(yes, lots of questions, but I'm hoping for things that will jog my and my sons' memories, partly because I want to see them, if we don't have them.)

Okay, I'll try to answer as much as I can. Yes--I was around 6th or 7th grade. I remember that they were more like goosebump books, not really the young adult novels.

I remember that I got them from a tiny library in my home city. I just went back last weekend to see if they still had the books, but they revamped and don't have anything they used to. I even looked on our city's library page to see if I could find anything about them, but didn't succeed in doing so. I remember that they were just books and that they sounded really good. I was really into the fantasy/adventure type stuff so I decided to try them out. They were wonderful, but I don't think they were very famous books at all.

That, I can't remember. I just remember that there were jewels. I don't remember about the jewelry they were set in or anything. They were different colors, and I remember that they did different things according to the color, but I don't remember much else about them. I don't remember the kids names, but I'm pretty sure they weren't named after the jewels. Actually, I'm pretty positive they weren't.

I do remember the kids were younger--maybe 13 or 14? I can't remember exactly. They weren't little little, but definately not older either. Midteen age. They were from different families, but friends. I don't think they were that innocent. I remember being spooked when reading some of the books and I was starting junior high.

I think at the time, they were just some old books on a shelf. No one that I knew read them. It was nothing like how Goosebumps was known by all. I just remember thinking that a lot of people should read them because they were surprisingly good.

The one thing I remember the most about one of the books is that there was a moat in the witch's castle...and there were creatures somewhere near them. They couldn't travel in certain places in the castle because of the creatures (I think they were something like trolls), and if they fell off the bridge, something was in the water or something was wrong with the water. They also didn't think the witch knew they were there, but she did know somehow. I'm trying to remember more. If I think of more, I'll post it. Thank you very much!

I'm at a loss so far. The one children's librarian here that I've had a chance to talk to had no new ideas... though she pointed me at a couple of interesting things.

I also have been wandering around on NoveList, and assorted other websites, and haven't found anything that sounds remotely close. I did find one site you might browse, and see if a title or series jumps out at you...

http://web.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/series/juv/

And I just figured out what the other series was that I was thinking of... It's Jane Lindskold's Through Wolf's Eyes series. The oldest two of Melina's children are named Jet and Sapphire.

Yay!

Wow! That site did help! I found them! They are the Spooksville series! I'm definately going to go out and buy them now! I can't thank you enough! This is awesome! Thanks!!!!

Oh how cool! I'm glad that site helped! It's a pretty neat site.

I've seen these... but I don't think I've ever brought any home as an adult. We're always collecting Goosebumps books... these seem like they might be similar... (I need another series to look for like I need a lump on my head...)

In fact, I just realized where I might've seen them before... my ex read everything of Christopher Pike's that he could get his hands on when we were in high school...

Thank you for letting us know what it was... I'll pass it on to the librarian I asked, too.

Back