• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pleasure or Analysis

Infinity said:
Hi there, it just happens that you and I are living in the same State, which is Virginia. :)

To answer your question, I am a reader-analyst. First I will read for pure enjoyment and comprehension of the material. Then I will put the book away and try to recall everything I read, not verbatim, of course. Afterward I will analyse it in depth because I think analysis is good for critical thinking.

Because of this habit, I always remember the main contents of all the books I have read (but if you want me to recall the details, I wouldn't be able to do so!). I always enjoy looking at the books on my bookshelves because whenever I do that I have a feeling that I have absorbed the author's message very well.

In short, I like literature chiefly because of all the interesting analysis that I have to do! ;)
Well, since you enjoy reading and reside in Virginia, you must live in Charlottesville. :) I read somewhere that people in Charlottesville read more books per capita that any other city / town in the U.S. Guess where I live in VA. :D

Great question!! I read for pleasure and tend not to struggle through a critically aclaimed book (for whatever reason) if it is not to my tastes. That being said, if the plot of a book is good and the writing is clunky I will usually finish the book but stay away from that author in the future. I rarely set out to analyse a book, although my English Lit background does come into play here and there. I enjoy looking at an author's themes and values that come out in multiple novels, as well as thinking about characters and the way they would react to situations beyond the context of the book.

I have great appreciation for a well built character who I can believe in. I have trouble with novels when I can't understand a characters motivations and actions. This is probably why I don't appreciate more 'classic' literature like Jane Austin and D. H. Lawrence, as I don't understand the period in which they were written.

I get most of my "reading" from listening to audiobooks, and I listen to them partly for pleasure and partly to give myself something to occupy my mind during my hour-long ride to work each morning.

i read for pleasure. like some of the other posts, if i do analyse it is purely accidental or happens through discussion with others. i rarely investigate deeper and just enjoy the book for what it gave me.

kook, just wanted to say "clunky" lol great word for a writing style. when i read that i went ok, that is what the word is for that type of writing.

jenngorham said:
i read for pleasure. like some of the other posts, if i do analyse it is purely accidental or happens through discussion with others. i rarely investigate deeper and just enjoy the book for what it gave me.

kook, just wanted to say "clunky" lol great word for a writing style. when i read that i went ok, that is what the word is for that type of writing.
Your post about echoes the way and reason I read.

I also got a kick out of and liked the use of the word "clunky" by Kookamoor in describing the writing in some books. :)

Back