• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Possession

somewhat

kickbox
I've heard rumors about there being a movie about A.S Byatt's Possession, and I just wondered if anyone had seen it. Because the book sucked. And it didn't even suck any good, it sucked like my grandmothers vaccum cleaner from 1867.

I own a film called possession, with sam neill and isabelle adjani. it's a psychodrama, kind of like rosemary's baby. is that what you're referring to?

No, there is a film based on the book, I enjoyed it but most people who liked the book hated the movie. It's definitely a Hollywood production. Gwyneth Paltron and Aaron Eckhart play the modern couple.

anyway, moving on ... I think you'd like this film I brought up. the year is 1981. spawned in an empty apartment is a mutant creature that possesses supernatural powers and feasts on human flesh. a woman leaves both her husband and her lover for this strange creature. meanwhile, their son drowns himself in a bathtub, and a man with pink socks leads a group of dopplegangers to eradicate and replace this disfunctional family.

bobbyburns said:
I own a film called possession, with sam neill and isabelle adjani. it's a psychodrama, kind of like rosemary's baby. is that what you're referring to?

did not understand what the rosemary's baby was about?

where were the gloves? so there were witches in the movie? and what happened to the baby? were his eyes taken out or what? ..... :(

oh, my friends asked me to thank for your recommendation, because none of us understood what it was about. :p it was not even scary, and it almost bored us to death.

bobbyburns said:
anyway, moving on ... I think you'd like this film I brought up. the year is 1981. spawned in an empty apartment is a mutant creature that possesses supernatural powers and feasts on human flesh. a woman leaves both her husband and her lover for this strange creature. meanwhile, their son drowns himself in a bathtub, and a man with pink socks leads a group of dopplegangers to eradicate and replace this disfunctional family.

Ew, I'm very easily scared, and I don't like scary movies. I like to read scary books, though, but then they just seem stupid :p

watercrystal said:
oh, my friends asked me to thank for your recommendation, because none of us understood what it was about. :p it was not even scary, and it almost bored us to death.
understood. I can kind of see it being boring. after all, it's over two hours. however, if you go into it wanting to be shocked, or wanting any experience at all, the meaning of it might get distorted. also, a lot of polanski's earlier films didn't have any resolution, which can frustrate some people. knife in the water, repulsion (1965), fearless vampire killers, and chinatown leave you, in the end, with a feeling that these films have been abandoned. personally, I like it that way, but that's my personal preference. it doesn't mean a thing. think of rosemary's baby like a nightmare. it's all about rosemary, who is portrayed very childlike. her husband sells his soul to the devil so his unsuccessful acting career will skyrocket. so, as part of the deal, she gives birth to satan-boy, adrian, and has to raise him and, perhaps, learn to love him. it's chilling.

somewhat said:
Ew, I'm very easily scared, and I don't like scary movies. I like to read scary books, though, but then they just seem stupid :p

repeat to yourself, "it's only a movie". "it's only" ... <gasp> ahck! argh! ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

[blood splatter]

bobbyburns said:
it's all about rosemary, who is portrayed very childlike. her husband sells his soul to the devil so his unsuccessful acting career will skyrocket. so, as part of the deal, she gives birth to satan-boy, adrian, and has to raise him and, perhaps, learn to love him. it's chilling.

One of my formative moments in literature was reading MAD magazine's version of Rosemary's Baby. What an eyeopener for little me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=280&item=3594986237&tc=photo#ebayphotohosting

bobbyburns said:
so, as part of the deal, she gives birth to satan-boy, adrian, and has to raise him and, perhaps, learn to love him. it's chilling.

*nods head*

This seemed to make sense. then, it worths that two hours' patience. :rolleyes:

somewhat said:

i guess one need to practise to or get used to scary movies, which can help lower your thrashold for being scared.

another method,you could imagine you are the film maker.

watercrystal said:
This seemed to make sense. then, it worths that two hours' patience.

that's only my outlook. obviously, it's not worth it to some people. if that's the way you feel, it's not right or wrong. but, I don't know, I think you might enjoy some of his other films, especially fearless vampire killers (or: pardon me, but your teeth are in my neck). roman polanski did an awesome job directing, as well as acting in it. plus it's wicked funny. I watched it last night, and I'm watching it right now.

bb, are you by any chance a fan of Love At First Bite, that masterwork starring the Tan Man George Hamilton? Perfect venue for disco, faddamaconcern.

that, and sleepaway camp ... the clothes kids wore back then were great.

if it were up to me, it would still be the '80s.

Mr. Burns,

Have you seen "Carnival of Souls," "Dementia 13," or "Peeping Tom"? They are some odd, very stylish horror films. If you've seen them, did you like them?

Irene Wilde

no, I haven't seen any of those. my old aikido instructor has dementia 13 and carnival of souls on tape, though, so I'll check them out if you think they're worth it.

Back