• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poster against drugs & theft

Sitaram

kickbox
I found this in a post at myspace.com and thought it amusing, and naughty.
ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e205_yourmomsaslut_ShowLetterdfsdf.jpg

But, then, many a true word said in jest.

pink shadow said:
LOL! That's funny! What did the other things on the poster say?

I sense this is all about to become confusing, but: the "poster" in the photo is different from that poster who posted the poster photo.

The poster's (member's) actual post simply said something like "Thanks for the add." But they threw in the photo to be funny.

It was not some profound post regarding drugs and theft.

I have had some profounder thoughts of my own, inspired by that poster.

We have all seen movies depicting the cruelty in prisons.

Now, if I talk about politics per se, I shall be in violation of forum rules.

But suppose I speak of justice in the abstract? Suppose I speak of justice as it appears in, say, Plato's Republic, or justice reflected in that ancient Greek passion for recruiting a law giver such as Solon?

Suppose I speak of Justice with a capital J, standing side by side with Truth and Beauty?

One constitution I have seen forbids cruel and unusual punishment. Yet, a series such as Oz or a movie/novel such as Shawshank Redemption makes it clear that sometimes, prisoners are exposed to certain abuses "accidentally on purpose".

It simply occurs to me that sometimes justice can be most unjust.

Is justice unjust? You bet! And blind too! And some professions seem to attract the wrong people, or maybe the job makes them that way? And then there's "honour amongst thiefs", when inmates punish for example childabusers in the spirit of "I'm low, but not that low". It's all very strange, but interesting. And of course, ABSTRACT. No political discussion here, folks!

So then, you were not really all that lost at "hello."

Most words have multiple meanings, resulting in ambiguity in certain contexts.

You had asked me originally if the poster went on to say much of interest.

The photo link simply displays the poster itself, plain for all to see, and it makes one statement about drugs and a second statement about shoplifting. So, surely you were not asking me what else is said on the poster (placard, sign.) Therefore, you must have assumed that the photo of the placard was part of some article posted by some poster, and you were inquiring into what else that article might have said, with regard to drugs, or shoplifting, or prison.

Since the Internet is a multicultural, multilingual meeting place for people of all ages, there may be some who do not understand the humor (or the tragedy) of the placard in the photo.

Some readers may not realize what the term "butt hole" means.

Milan Kundera was quite clever and delicate, in one of his novels, when he said that a man, making love, became inflamed when he caught sight of "the eye of the rump."

It is poetic to call things by some euphemism, such as an eye, or a rose (Annie Proulx's expression "stemming the rose").

Others may be well aware of the meaning of "butt hole", but may be ignorant of what allegedly happens to some prisoners.

Now, as to justice being political, why, if that were really the case, then we could not speak of the rules here forbidding the discussion of politics, since we would be speaking about the rules of this forum and the government of this forum, and the question of justice when this forum enforces the rules. We would find ourselves in the curious bind of breaking the rules whenever we attempt to discuss the rules.

If we wanted to be clever and wicked, we might start a thread on The Shawshank Redemption, in the Fiction section, and a thread on OZ in the Television section, and then begin to discuss the injustice of prisons portrayed in that novel and that series. But then we would be adhering to the letter of the law, but not the spirit (oops that phrase in itself teeters upon the religious). To do such a thing might be a form of legal injustice. I am not suggesting that such a thread be started, but I am just playing around with the ambiguous nature of words and language.

Now, blindness sounds pejorative, yet statues of Madam (or Mademoiselle) Justice (let us presume her virginity), are BLINDFOLDED, but not blind (there is a difference) because Justice, though fully sighted, is suppose to treat all alike on their day in court, and not be a "respecter of persons".

Back