• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Posting issue with OSX - tags

Kookamoor

For the last few months I've been using OSX for Mac, and this software doesn't seem to properly support the tags available - image, url, bold, italics, etc. If I highlight text and click the link button all it does is put the friggin' tag text at the very end of my message. For example, if I highlight OSX and click link... a window appears, I past the link in...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/ and the link appears at the bottom of the post!

Likewise if I select bold... I get the tags rather than a window appearing for me to type in. If I select a word in the message and click bold... the tags appear again at the end of the message.

:( Any ideas? I think this is a no win situation, but figured I'd raise it anyway.

I'm using OSX on an iBook G4 with no problem. What you describe is totally weird. I'm going to mess with it for a bit and get back to you if I can replicate what you describe.

Kookamoor said:
For the last few months I've been using OSX for Mac, and this software doesn't seem to properly support the tags available - image, url, bold, italics, etc. If I highlight text and click the link button all it does is put the friggin' tag text at the very end of my message. For example, if I highlight OSX and click link... a window appears, I past the link in...

Likewise if I select bold... I get the tags rather than a window appearing for me to type in. If I select a word in the message and click bold... the tags appear again at the end of the message.

:( Any ideas? I think this is a no win situation, but figured I'd raise it anyway.

what browser are you using?

Kookamoor said:
For example, if I highlight OSX and click link... a window appears, I past the link in...
If I select a word in the message and click bold... the tags appear again at the end of the message.

I bet it has something to do with your browser. For a while I was using some crummy browser that had been installed on our computer a couple years ago. It was doing the same thing. After a month or so I got sick of it and installed firefox. I'm much happier.

mehastings said:
I bet it has something to do with your browser. For a while I was using some crummy browser that had been installed on our computer a couple years ago. It was doing the same thing. After a month or so I got sick of it and installed firefox. I'm much happier.

yes - I'm using Firefox with no problems. IE plays up and does what kook describes.

Nope! I'm using Safari (on an iBook G4, btw - snap!). Why didn't I think of the browser? Before you ask, I have no other issues with this browser and wouldn't change browsers just because of this issue.

Edit: Actually that's not entirely true, now that I think about it. I can't use rich text when I post on my livejournal site using this computer, and when I use my Yahoo! mailbox, I can't use any of the bold functions or smileys. I never thought that this might be Safari, though...

I just tried Safari on TBF. First of all, I couldn't even sign on in the normal way - I had to open a new window! Then I tried using bold, and got the same prob as when using Internet Explorer.

I really would recommend Firefox. I was an Explorer fanatic until I discovered it. :eek:

No new windows to sign in (it's in the top RH corner). Even the doggone smilies come up at the bottom of the post! It's annoying, but I'm not sure I can be bothered downloading firefox for such a petty reason. My partner (who's computer this is) is pretty hooked on Safari. I'll bear it in mind if I start tearing my hair out, though.

In the meantime, just appreciate how much extra effort I expend in order to put a damn link or special text in!

I've got all the major browsers on this machine. You could set Firefox as your main browser in your own seperate log in. Well, once you download it of course :)

CDA said:
I've got all the major browsers on this machine. You could set Firefox as your main browser in your own seperate log in. Well, once you download it of course :)
Yeah, that might be the way to go - I have different settings that I prefer anyway... I'll think about it. Thanks so much for your help, CDA!

MonkeyCatcher said:
Why not just type them in manually? I do that all the time anyway - they are extremely easy to remember.
Because I'm laaaaazy! I'm also used to having the tags work, so it's a bit of a pissoff...

MonkeyCatcher said:
Why not just type them in manually? I do that all the time anyway - they are extremely easy to remember.

Manually? MANUALLY??

That's outrageous!!

Hehe :D It would save a lot of hassle, though. My tag thingys work fine, but I find it to be faster if I just type them out.

Just downloaded Firefox and it appears that the problem has been solved :D . The browser is slower than Safari, though.

It also allows me to finally be able to pay some of my bills online, as the applet wasn't working for me before. Not sure why I never considered that the browser may be at fault... I'm just getting used to using a Mac again (the last ones I used frequently was a Mac LCII in 1998, and it was ancient then!). Thanks again, CDA!

You're welcome.

Peculiar though - I find Safari to be slower than Firefrox on this machine!

CDA - you ought to be so proud of me. I just bought my first Mac, a 15" Powerbook. Silver, shiny, non-virused loveliness!

Back