• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pride and Prejudice, 2005

nomadic myth

I just saw this movie in the theatre; movies come a bit slowly to Korea. Anyway, I haven't read the book yet but kind of got coaxed into seeing the movie first.

Now I really want to read the book. It happens to be about 20th or so down my current reading list, but I think I'm going to bump it up for this weekend.

I thought the movie was great. I don't follow current movie releases, so I had no idea a new version of Pride and Prejudice was out on film, nor had I heard what any other human being had thought of this movie.

What do folks think about this new version, and does it complement or pale in comparison to the novel?

I also liked the movie a lot! Although i was a bit sceptical at first about yet another austen-adaption (I think there is one with colin firth in it). I thought the actors were great especially keira knightly and donald sutherland. If you liked the film you'll definitely like the book. It's more detailed obviously. the film inspired me to read more of Austen's too!

mederl said:
I thought the actors were great especially keira knightly and donald sutherland.

Donald Sutherland totally cracked me up the whole way through the movie. I can't wait to see how he comes across in the book.

I normally hate seeing a movie before I read a book, but in this case the movie seems to have gotten me excited about something I wasn't too keen on reading. Austen was drooled over by many English students during my university days, but I was more interested in touching the cosmos or something like that.

I didn't like donald sutherlands character that much in the book, so it was a pleasant surprise in the movie.

I avoided Austen until now, thought her books a bit too 'girly'. Now I like that she told entertaining stories while also thouching more serious subjects on the way. Being halfway through Mansfield Park now, I could recommend this book too. It's a bit more serious than Pride and Prejudice. There is also a film adaption with Jonny Lee Miller.

I hated the book. Absolutely loathed it. I couldn't understand it and had to buy Cliff's Notes, which embarrassed me, since I don't strain myself reading Shakespeare. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is irritating.

This movie bored me, though it was beautifully done. I'm just not the type who's into these sorts of movies.

The movie was good and I love Keira Knightly, but the book is so much better. There was a better movie that was put out a while ago by BBC, which is alot closer to the book.

Having finished the book just yesterday, I must say the movie took many liberties. However, I'm glad I saw the movie first, because it gave me a good sense of setting without prejudicing me about characters too much.

I actually hated the new Pride and Prejudice movie...I think it doesn't reflect the book at all...I have been very deceived in seeing it and I personally believe that the 1996 mini-series reflect the book better than any other Pride and Prejudice versions. Of course, books are always way better than the movies!!!

I watched the movie on DVD on Easter day, and enjoyed it very much. Now I'm rereading the book. But first -- more Glory. :eek:

Hi, Nomadic Myth:)

Well, I just have to jump in here and say that I absolutely adore the book--I've read it several times, and also taped the entire hours-long AMC mini-series that came out in--1995, I think. That spoiled me. I'm glad to hear that this movie whetted your appetite to read Austen, but I really took exception to the newest Darcy--he wasn't austere enough for me, and a couple of the scenes just weren't done to my liking. Overall, I thought it was good for such a shorter rendition, though. You'll love the book!

I have to confess that I thought the producers at FOCUS pictures were nuts to finance this film. It was terrible. :eek:

The actors couldn't act their way out of a paper bag and the piece was rarely historically accurate. I guess they completely forgot they were portraying the Empire Period.

Just my $.02. Thanks for listening.

Back