• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Proof Reading?

Writer44

Has anyone else noticed the increasing number of mistakes in newspapers these days? I'm talking about missing words, poor spelling, things of this nature. Some highly respected rags are showing signs of chafing. Have they cut the proof readers? This is pathetic.

Some publishers have relied on spell checkers and other automatic proofreading aids for a while now. Some aren't even using copyeditors. Apparently it's considered that the money is better spent in advertising and design than in editing and proofreading. I assume that with so much self-publishing going on (blogs and other online outlets), as well as a generation of kids being raised on text-speak, this trend will continue.

Speaking as an editor, I'm glad I'm close to retiring age because I don't think this line of work is going to be around much longer.

Back