• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pseudonyms

third man girl

Is it necessary to use your real name when you are trying to get a book published?
eg Is it acceptable to use a pseudonym, or initials, only, of first names, to disguise gender?

I have no idea whatsoever, but i think anything goes - just remember that if you do get published you're likely to be stuck writing under that name for a Looooooong Time (and you get called it at book signings and stuff, so pick something you like!! :) )

Pseudonyms are widely used in the industry i think, especailly by first time authors who dont want to sully their real name!! Initials only, well there are loads of authors with only initials (P.D. James jumps atme for some reason) so i assume there would be no problem

Hope this helps!! :)

Phil

Edit: w00t!!!! 300 posts!!!

Reason I ask, is that I am writing in the first person (because I am new to this and, somehow, it comes easier than third person), but my characters are male, and yet I am female.

I can't seem to write from a female character's point of view. My male characters are mainly controlling, aggressive types and the females more passive. (It's a Gang/Cult story).

Do others find it hard to write about 'passive' characters; or should I be trying to inject more action into them?

TMG

Some genre publishers require pseudonyms, but then the publisher owns the right to that name and you leave it with them when you go.

You can get in legal troubles with a pseudonym that can be easily gotten around. Register the name as an alias. We did that when I worked with some musicians (I was Bhunny Rhabbet. Guess you can tell it was a punk band) and wrote a murder mystery with a male alias, Flint Hardy. The name didn't fool a reviewer. He said "Flint Hardy writes like a Hardy Girl, not like a Hardy Boy. His hard-boiled never got past poached."

If it's considered wrong to judge a book by its cover, is it also wrong to judge it by sex of author?

I do this all the time (I wish I didn't!). Even as I read a book, I'm asking myself if the content is believable, e.g. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden lost its credibility for me, because I knew the author is male. (Otherwise, it was a well-written, enjoyable read).

If he'd written under a female alias, I would have enjoyed the book more. And before you all slate me, I know this is stupid :)

Third Man Girl

What's irritating about Children's Lit is that a boy lead character is MUCH more marketable. I bet "Hermione Potter" wouldn't have done nearly as well, even if it found a publisher.

I think its a necessary optimism. I.e., IF you get published AND the book sells a jillion copies you don't want hordes of fans flocking to your private writing spot bugging the spit out of you THEREFORE, you need a pseudonym.

Back