• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Psychic abilities

Stewart said:
It's all crap. :)

Truly that might be the most profound thought of them all!;)

Sorry if I inadvertently attack anybody's beliefs, I always had a very strong belief in the newest scientific discoveries and have become very disillusioned with our illustrious scientific community.

I actually started a rant all about dark energy, sub-atomic particles and alternate universes (all of which are as proven as the tooth fairy), and after two pages, stopped myself, deleted this and I was able to replace it (with inspiration drawn from Stewart) with this summation:

It really is all crap.

On to some more realistic and beleivable matters:

Who has seen a gost? Personal accounts only please, I have 3 friends and 5 family members who say they have, apparently I saw one when I was younger (but can't remember it), and that don't cut the mustard!

Whould you want to see one? I have always wanted to see a real 'live' ghost, no luck so far. (exept for my reported exploits when I was too young to remember)

Take Uri Geller - please - who claims psychic abilities and is constantly derided as a fraud in the media. Occasionally he has taken them to court but he has never won. James Randi has reproduced all of Geller's stunts using standard illusionist techniques and comments: "It is possible that Uri Geller is achieving his effects by use of psychic abilities - but if he is, then he's doing it the hard way." Derren Brown in the UK has done the same thing for seances and mediums, showing that their techniques can be reproduced (in fact with much more accuracy than most mediums achieve) using his own illusionist techniques and other trickery.

As to the point about thinking of someone and then getting a call or email from them: as Stephen Fry pointed out on Room 101, I might think about a hundred people a day. Surely it would be much more remarkable if I never received a call from them just as I was thinking of them, rather than it happening one time out of several thousand?

Miss Shelf-
It is indeed!

Now about your dog's ball- I see.... a dark place, someplace hidden, someplace unseen.

It is close too you now .. I can sense it.

Have you checked behind the couch?

By the way I think your quote fits into this discussion so perfectly:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russel

Miss Shelf said:
Maybe, but it's fun crap!

That's a matter of opinion. It may be fun for many, but there are mediums and spiritualists out there who take advantage of people at their lowest ebb, when they have lost a loved one, by claiming to put people in touch with the deceased - for a fee, of course. That, I think, is despicable.

Miss Shelf said:
my dog has lost his favorite squeaky ball, I've looked everywhere. He's very unhappy, and while I'll get him a new one today, it's driving me nuts not knowing what happened to the ball.

Check his turds tomorrow to see if he swallowed it.

Shade said:
That's a matter of opinion. It may be fun for many, but there are mediums and spiritualists out there who take advantage of people at their lowest ebb, when they have lost a loved one, by claiming to put people in touch with the deceased - for a fee, of course. That, I think, is despicable.

Perhaps,

But to play devil's advocate: maybe they give a sense of closure to these people. They would not have believed these things if they didn't want to. If they make some money out of it....well at least they are robbing them in a socially acceptable way. Hell they could b3e doing something truly despicable...like politics!

Hugin-Yes, I have looked behind the couch, under chairs, behind chairs, behind and under tables, under beds, under desks, behind curtains, the basement, the back yard, wastebaskets, yes, everywhere. This is not the first time it's gone missing-last year I found it on the front porch where I probably knocked it when I went to get the paper. It'll probably appear after I've gone to the trouble and expense of getting a new one. :rolleyes:

Excuse me while I go triple-check the places I've already looked. :D

CDA said:
Check his turds tomorrow to see if he swallowed it.

You have to frame these things right, if you are going to make predictions about the fate of this poor ball it shoud be mysterious:

I sense the ball is gone now, gone to a dark place. It is a journey from which there will be a return, a unwelcome return for some.

Miss Shelf said:

Yup, the only sure fire way to get it back is to forget about the ball, buy a replacement, and just as you start to find the new ball is working much better (better quality squeeek or something). You will wake up with an old soggy ball in your slipper.

I fully expect to return from the pet supply store to find the ball square in the middle of the living room carpet. If that happens, I will take a pill and go to bed. :D

Miss Shelf said:
Shame on you! He loves that ball, he'd never eat it. Besides, I already watched him poop. It wasn't there. :p

:eek: Ok you really, really need a new hobby!:D

Miss Shelf said:
Hugin-Yes, I have looked behind the couch, under chairs, behind chairs, behind and under tables, under beds, under desks, behind curtains, the basement, the back yard, wastebaskets, yes, everywhere. This is not the first time it's gone missing-last year I found it on the front porch where I probably knocked it when I went to get the paper. It'll probably appear after I've gone to the trouble and expense of getting a new one. :rolleyes:

Hint, hint. It is probably where you did not look. :)

Hugin said:
:eek: Ok you really, really need a new hobby!:D

You obviously don't have a dog. Since he can't tell me he doesn't feel well, I check his poop to make sure he's OK. Like I always say, it's poop, not nuclear waste. :rolleyes:

Miss Shelf said:
...I already watched him poop...

"The long winter evenings must just fly by"

16.jpg

Miss Shelf said:
You obviously don't have a dog. Since he can't tell me he doesn't feel well, I check his poop to make sure he's OK. Like I always say, it's poop, not nuclear waste. :rolleyes:

When it comes to animal waste, I prefer to beleive that I have a phsycic connection with the animal that allows me to know what is wrong with him. I have shoveled, cleaned and stepped in dog and cat poop enough in my life!

Back